Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Countdown

rsmith

Getting pumped, this past weekend glassed four bucks in a bachelor group right where my stand is placed. I was was a good 600 yds away and I could still tell the big boy in the group was a BRUISER with my shitty binocs! I cant sleep now!
That's awesome! Here's the countdown to more sleepless nights of waiting to see that bruiser

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I've never been this pumped about hunting season and cannot wait to get in a stand or ground blind. I'll be a trigger happy sumbich come Sept 28th and I feel sorry for the first big doe or big buck to walk in front of me.:pickle:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Won't be but a couple weeks and bucks will take to hiding and peeling velvet. Couple weeks after that and they should all be heading into their areas.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. One month to go. RedCloud, I hope you're right!

Over the past few years of running the cams my buck sightings have dropped off starting 2nd week of September and after that some of those bucks have never been seen again. Some stay gone until the next summer and return to the normal bachelor group stomping grounds.

Won't be long and they will shed velvet and spread out ;)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ky's seasons have always been earlier than ours and they seem to have managed their wildlife pretty good IMO. They have skyrocketed up near the top in trophy caliber deer being killed and some have even threatened some records. They start turkey hunting a lot earlier than us too and have no problem in managing them as we!

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ky's seasons have always been earlier than ours and they seem to have managed their wildlife pretty good IMO. They have skyrocketed up near the top in trophy caliber deer being killed and some have even threatened some records. They start turkey hunting a lot earlier than us too and have no problem in managing them as we!
Yep have to agree with ya Ric.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
These next few weeks will be deerless for a lot of hunters. With velvet peeling and acorns dropping, bucks will go underground for a while as they settle down on there core ranges for the fall. Bucks we know, will disappear and new bucks will arrive. Cool nights will rid them of that distinctive orange cast and return them to the familiar brownish grey we love to see shining in the early morning light. In less than a month, we'll know of yet another Ohio giant that fell to a fortunate bow hunter. Hopefully someone in TOOzerville has nailed their target buck for the year! Good luck to all as you finish prepping for the season. Enjoy the calm before the storm gentlemen (and Diane)!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
These next few weeks will be deerless for a lot of hunters. With velvet peeling and acorns dropping, bucks will go underground for a while as they settle down on there core ranges for the fall. Bucks we know, will disappear and new bucks will arrive. Cool nights will rid them of that distinctive orange cast and return them to the familiar brownish grey we love to see shining in the early morning light. In less than a month, we'll know of yet another Ohio giant that fell to a fortunate bow hunter. Hopefully someone in TOOzerville has nailed their target buck for the year! Good luck to all as you finish prepping for the season. Enjoy the calm before the storm gentlemen (and Diane)!

Well said, Jesse! Good luck!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
That paragraph made me moist.