Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tuning a bow?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
as many of you all know I bougt a new bow. I honestly feel dumb asking this but what are tips on tuning a bow? I never have before, I always just shot a lot and got my bow shooting the same place over and over again.

MILO??

Milo

Tatonka guide.
as many of you all know I bougt a new bow. I honestly feel dumb asking this but what are tips on tuning a bow? I never have before, I always just shot a lot and got my bow shooting the same place over and over again.

MILO??

Depends on the bow. Some are easier than others while others offer more flexiblilty and customizing than others.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Start by getting your cams in sync ( not the pop band) then a set your nock height for the arrow to split the center of the Berger hole, arrow level at 90 degrees to the string. On your bow now you can set center shot with a laser to start but it should shoot good at dead center. This is for your bow now and may not be for others

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'll tell ya, Milo got me started when I got fed up of the local shops doing crap work, and having no idea how to tune a bow. I bought a bowmaster press with split limb adapters, a bow vice, a string and arrow level, some serving and D-loop material, and with a little guidance from Milo, was on my way. There's a lot of trial and error, but if you take your time and record your steps as you go through your tuning, you can figure it out. It may take you a while before you feel real comfortable, but eventually, you will get it. I haven't taken a bow to a shop for over two years now. I wouldn't work on anybody else's equipment, but I feel comfortable working with Diamond/Elite/Hoyt bows.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
It's not really that hard guys. Maybe the hardest part of it is deciding which press to buy. Honestly I spend more time with the shooter than the bow. A press is an investment but it's worth it. I'm appalled at home many shops have no idea what they are doing. They keep me busy....

at1010

*Supporting Member*
thank you for the tips! It sounds hard but I need to look into more! I wish I was in OHIO and Milo could show me what the hell to doo! hahah

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Where are you located at? What's shops don't you like?

I won't run anyone down here cause lord knows I have made my share if mistakes. Made one on a members bow here that I have yet to understand what happened to his peep. I had the top and bottom ties off and it flew out of the string. I have fixed bows from about every well known shop. I will say this and stand behind it....if your shop is not spend at least 30 minutes or more with tier customers being sure their bow fits them, they are hosing you. I spend well over an hour checking and rechecking people AND I spend time explaining their bow to them and educating them on what to look for if a string stretches

Milo

Tatonka guide.
thank you for the tips! It sounds hard but I need to look into more! I wish I was in OHIO and Milo could show me what the hell to doo! hahah

Al you can do it I promise. I can help you get going and point you in the right direction . Spend the money to buy a press and you won't regret it i promise. Good bow presses retain their value

Milo

Tatonka guide.
The other i thing look for in a bow shop is if they use a draw board to check timing. Most shops dont and in my opinion thats half assed.
Agreed and pulling it down on a chain doesn't cut it either. No draw board is not even worth your time having them set it up. Ask for a discount and pay a place that can do it right