Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer movement

Creb19

I heard deer tend to stay in the same spot for the first week or 2 at the start of the season. How far will they move after that and why? Or how far can they move?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Depends on the pressure or intrusion hunters put on them or if they changed their diet. Once the velvet falls they are less photogenic and are breaking away from their bachelor groups and the pecking order has already been mostly hashed out by then.
Beans are a big draw till they turn brown and they tend to gravitate more towards browse,mast and standing corn. The corn for both food and security.
Distance varies but IMO all deer are different.

This is just my opinion based on my observations. Welcome to TOO and good luck this season!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree with Finelyshedded. Every property is different. Every deer is different. Pressure on them will certainly make them move. Different dietary needs will make them shift.

How far? Eh. . . how far would you travel for food? If you are hungry, you go to the food. If you are being bullied by bigger bucks, would you stay? Might depend on the deer again. Some like to scrap. Others don't. Where is the next safe place for them to stay? That might dictate how far they move. how many does in the area? If rut is near, they can go a long way to find some booty. Lots of variables. Disposition of the deer, hunter pressure, available food sources/safe bedding areas, etc., all factor in.