Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Diablo 2014-2015 season

Diablo54

Outside
I wanted to start a thread for the season so I could keep track of everything that goes on this year if I need to look back at it. My season started on Memorial Day. I worked up our bottom fields and planted corn for the first time after 30 hours on the tractor on ground that hadn't been worked I got it in the ground. There are no other crops within 2 miles so this should be a great bonus for our property this year. It is only 2 acres of corn but it should be a great foodplot and security blanket for them this fall. Here is how it stands as of last weekend. It is coming up great so far.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407074568.147433.jpg

I have hardly had any cams out this year. I just put two out yesterday. But I have been seeing some good bucks on the property's that I hunt. This one is hanging out near the corn and I just put a camera out to try to get some pictures of him. His brows are almost as high as his g2's. Dad and I glassed him last night and agreed that he has a good chance of being 140 as an 8.

I believe this was him last year.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407074790.330829.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407074832.404434.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407074747.249953.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407074747.249953.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Diablo54

Outside
At another farm I hunt that is just down the road I have been seeing some great bucks as well. 2 nights ago I saw 8 bucks that I think will be over 130. And 2 that I believe to be 150's. I am yet to put a camera out there. There are rumors of a giant running around the adjacent farm. 2 sheds were picked up last year with 21 points that looked like they would go in the low 200's. But I am yet to see him lol. I'll keep updating and hopefully get some better pictures of the 8.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm jealous of the corn man, I'd love to be able to plan beans and corn and leave them stand! Maybe next year!
That's a good looking buck too, wide brows!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Terrific post. Looking forward to reading along as your hunting season progresses. Early reports look optimistic from this view.

Diablo54

Outside
Scouted a bit tonight. Counted 14 deer standing in the corner where I put my camera on Friday. It was to dark to tell what was what. We will see when I check. The big 8 was in his normal spot also so that's good. Hopefully it is cool next weekend. I have a few sets that need tweaked and a few sets that I need to hang. I swear the best way to learn how the deer are using the land is to shed hunt. I learn more during march about deer than I do any other time of the year.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Totally agree with the amount one learns about Whitetails while shed hunting in late winter and early spring. Only thing better is witnessing them do it over and over from the stand.

Great thread Tay! Great job on the corn as it should be a great draw for deer during the harshness of winter. Prolly find some a lot of sheds in or around it this winter and spring TOO!

That 8 is a stud and I hope you or your dad gets a nice up close encounter with him. Looking forward to checking in on your updates. Good luck

Diablo54

Outside
I saw 2 studs tonight in the neighbors beans only 100 yards from one of my favorite spots to sit. There were over ten bucks in the field. 4 of them looked like 125-135" 10 and 8 PTs. But there were two that were studs. The one buck was nice I'm guessing 150-160 couldn't tell if he was a 10 or 12. And the other buck which did not stick around like all the other deer dwarfed the other big buck. He was well over 20 inches wide. Nice tines and crazy mass. His main beams looked like baseball bats. Here are some grainy cell phone pics of the smaller of the 2. The big one took off quickly.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407206595.560673.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407206611.584475.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407206625.495014.jpg

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Very promising Taylor. I don't know what the deal is this year, but the deer just aren't hitting my beans like they have in the past. Kinda disappointing, because I enjoy summertime scouting.