Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TripleA88 trail cam pics

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
Have you caught the buck you had coming in pretty regular last year yet! Another year on him would put him on your hitlist for sure!

I did not. I shot the one he roamed with, which was surprisingly the dominant buck. I gave that property up though. Similar here, the 9 that shows up regularly is dominant and have several pics of him kicking the 15 around here when they're together.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Bigger or smaller than the 172? Who cares? He is a stud. If you like him, shoot him! Not sure what there is not to like about him.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm figuring you should shoot that deer. I figure there are not guarantees in the deer woods. I figure if you let that deer walk, chances are SLIM you'll even have a chance to kill him next year. Figure that...

Kaiser878

ohio
How are you guys figuring?
He is an awesome deer. So don't take what I say wrong. I'd shoot him any day any time ...

I'm comparing him to the deer my buddy killed out of one of my stands in 2012.
This deer grossed 167 as a typical 13. Should have been a typical 14, but I assume the deer u see pictured with him broke his one tine off.
uploadfromtaptalk1440428169729.jpg

There's multiple things that stick out that make me say sub 170.
1. tine length
2. Mass, you only get 8 (4 per side) measurements no matter what and he looks thick in certain spots but those aren't necessarily where he will be measured, plus he's in velvet.
3. Short brows. That hurts a score.

I could be wrong.... but I don't think I am

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
How are you guys figuring?

This is where I was going, you and Zachs big framed deerz y'all killed a couple years ago will look more impressive than this 15 point deer even if he does gross higher because they have less tines and make up for it in length,mass and overall frame.

Like others have said, I'd shoot that deer all day long regardless what he scores! He's mature enough for me and he's one that won't be swimming around in a barrel! You'll have to hunt smart and have some luck to kill a deer like that with a bow,IMO. Good luck with him!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They're saying frame wise he'll look closer to his net than gross. You've seen those deer at the deer and turkey expo that look 160 but the card says 178. Then you see a big 10 and think he's 175 but he's 155. That's all they're saying. That 172 you killed was a hoss of a frame.

Hogmister13

I still say pushing high 150's to 160. still no doubt a Giant in my book. Get him on the ground and we know for sure. Good Luck !!!

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
Thanks guys. I don't care about scores. Just trying to broaden my horizons as a bow hunter and learn how to determine scoring a deer on the hoof. I enjoy the challenge of hunting a specific deer, getting to know that deer and develop a history. I'll shoot a deer with character any day regardless what he may net at the end of the day.

runhunter

Thanks guys. I don't care about scores. Just trying to broaden my horizons as a bow hunter and learn how to determine scoring a deer on the hoof. I enjoy the challenge of hunting a specific deer, getting to know that deer and develop a history. I'll shoot a deer with character any day regardless what he may net at the end of the day.

I think it's good to learn how to score deer on the hoof, so you can make a quick decision in the field. However, I only think that matters when you're trying to practice sound management, and are borderline on a 130", 140", or whatever age you set as your mark for pass/shoot. When they are 160-170".... you don't need to worry about scoring on the hoof.

Kaiser878

ohio
Scores are a way to help us set goals, at least for me. As run hunter said, once they are over 150, it doesn't matter. I'm shooting nonmatter what and I'll worry about score later. It's the ones that are in the 135-145 range that u need to get good at scoring. Also multiple cam pictures help with getting the overall picture of a deer. Trying to be precise with a deer in velvet is next to impossible.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana

Douchebag

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
He's been around regularly. I got pics of the 9 point with shed-ed velvet tonight. He's next. I must be right in his core area, the covert snaps pics of him 5AM, 7AM sometimes even noon on multiple occasions then again 7 PM. As of right now he shows around 5 out of the 7 days a week. I also discovered he has a double throat patch.