Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Compound bow grips .....

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I recently bought a new bow. With my other bow, it's something I never thought about, but I wish I had installed a grip. This time around, I do feel it's something I'd like to look in to. Has anyone else used one & what recomendations would there be ?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Grips used to he a lot more affordable than they are now. It's all preference but I'd look at a shrewd grip based on price. It seems all manufacturers have redone their grips to be slim and less bulky so the necessity for a grip has gone down from years past.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm kinda pissed about the lack of quality "bear paw" grips out there. I have big ass hands and shooting off the riser or with small side plates is not something I like to do. I'm sure with thousands of arrows I would become comfortable and eliminate the grip inconsistencies that I have, but I don't have that time any more. The big, meaty grips fill up my hand and leave me very comfortable holding the bow. To be proficient, you much first be comfortable. There are very few grips out there other than Mathews that provide the grip I'm after. I've been looking for something to put on that Strother and have came up empty thus far...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I like the Hoyt better without the grip. May just have some sideplates made cause I can't stand to look at the cutout under the grip.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I like the Hoyt better without the grip. May just have some sideplates made cause I can't stand to look at the cutout under the grip.
Wish I had the time and material. I made my side plates for the G5 and they turned out great. G10 material.

That's the first thing I critique on a new bow in my hands, the grip. I've never really had experience with replacement grips so the stock one's usually have to feel good from the start. I've always loved the wood grips of Mathews, they just fit my hand right and you cannot replace the warmth of a wood grip on a cold frosty morning. Really liked the grips/side plates on the Elite bows and the Obsession bows as well.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Wish I had the time and material. I made my side plates for the G5 and they turned out great. G10 material.
I've contemplated building a set. They don't need to be purdy. I could always paint them black or have them dipped.

It kills me when you hear someone talk about their bow being off. "I was shooting good yesterday, but not today. I must have nocked something off." 99% of the time, that person has either changed their grip or anchor. With the new Hoyt, I struggled a good bit with the grip at first. I still do a little now, but I know when I screw up and what I need to correct. I never miss right, but when I do miss, it is high and left, and it's all in the grip.

Treed

Stark County
I recently bought a new bow. With my other bow, it's something I never thought about, but I wish I had installed a grip. This time around, I do feel it's something I'd like to look in to. Has anyone else used one & what recomendations would there be ?

I pulled the grips off of my last two Hoyts and put side plates on. For me, it's a much better feel.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Flute making side plates ain't hard especially if you are going to paint or dip them. I've made several sets for myself. Just takes a lil time
I had actually thought about cutting down the stock 3/4 grip into side plates. Gonna give it a bit longer before I jump ship.