Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snort wheeze ....

Diablo54

Outside
First time I used it I had already shot my buck that morning and was out hoping to tag a doe. Got up in the climber and had a good view of the ridge and field and sure enough a giant made his way along the ridge out into the field. He thrashed a couple scrapes and was making a rub about 150 yards away when I though what the heck, I'd like to see what he would do. Well, he turned on a dime and came within 20 yards all bristled up and stiff. To this day I still say he was one of the biggest I've ever seen there in Ohio. Named him Crab Claw that day as his thick right main beam ended in the ugliest crab claw.

Since then I've used it a couple of times on bucks that were out a ways away and had some decent results. I often use it just prior to a rattling sequence if I am doing one as well.

What year was this?

I take it that buck rang a bell with you Diablo? If not that year what year did you see a similar? The buck I mentioned the last time it was seen was when a guy my uncle allowed to hunt took several pot shots at it as it sprinted past him in the big holla and didn't slow down. The guy didn't even take a second to go and see if he hit it or not. Was never seen after that day again.

Diablo54

Outside
I take it that buck rang a bell with you Diablo? If not that year what year did you see a similar? The buck I mentioned the last time it was seen was when a guy my uncle allowed to hunt took several pot shots at it as it sprinted past him in the big holla and didn't slow down. The guy didn't even take a second to go and see if he hit it or not. Was never seen after that day again.

Different deer. Mine is not big enough for your story's lol.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407002398.704935.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407002410.322679.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407002419.690351.jpg

Diablo54

Outside
I have snort wheezed at several bucks and have never called one in. I have tried while they are chasing to only be ignored. And I had a buck at 50 yards thrashing a tree and making scrapes. He was frustrated with something. He looked like a 3 or 4 year old and had a giant body and a nice rack. I snort wheezed at him and pissed him off but he could not see any other deer so he did not commit to coming in.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Ive done it about 5 times successfully over the years. The deer has to be in the right mood or they just ignore it or go the other way.

It helps if there is another buck within sight or another buck in the immediate area.

whack

I've had it work once. Two years ago. A nice 9 pointer was walking away and I tried it in a last ditch effort. He turned immediately and came walking my way. I just caught him in the right mood.
I think it should only be used when nothing else is working. I think the same of grunt calls. I've seen them make deer go the other way.

Same experience except the buck dang near ran the tree over I was in. I have tried it very few times maybe 3. The other times they acted like they never heard it

Big Weff

Athens
I've had it halfway work one time, had a hot doe come through in the morning at about 60 yards and throughout the day two mid size bucks came through on a mission following that trail and I grunted but no such luck and then a nice 10 point around 150 came through so I gave him the old snort wheeze and stopped him on a dime. He came charging into the wood line and didn't see another deer and off he went. Old boy knew something wasn't right