Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting Permits ( confused )

Evolution89

Ok all, I am not sure how the permit system here works. It states that in some counties including mine ( Monroe ) that antler less permits are not valid but instead you can get 3 either sex permits but only kill one buck. I am confused as to why you have to have either sex permits if you are only allowed 1 buck, why not just issue 2 antlerless permits and 1 antlered?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ok all, I am not sure how the permit system here works. It states that in some counties including mine ( Monroe ) that antler less permits are not valid but instead you can get 3 either sex permits but only kill one buck. I am confused as to why you have to have either sex permits if you are only allowed 1 buck, why not just issue 2 antlerless permits and 1 antlered?

They are different prices and expire at different times. Either sex is valid all season. Antlerless is only valid until the first Monday after thanksgiving. (Gun season).

Evolution89

Ok good to know thanks all. Also I was curious about the hunter safety course or whatever it is called here. Even though I've been hunting 12+ years and have taken the course in pa, do I have to take it here also?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you buy your license at a brick and mortar store, they probably won't even ask about that. Just give them your drivers license. If you buy them online, I think you just have to answer if you've taken one or not. Work case you have to show proof and I don't see that happening.