Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ryan's fall food plot 2014

rsmith

Just scored big at tractor supply!! They missed marked a bag of winterpz food plot mix originally $20 out the door for $3, has a 51% content of oats with some clover and peas, couldn't pass it for that price!

rsmith

Great thread that shows what can be learned by reading posts on this site. Giving insight from past experiences to one another makes us all better hunters.

Hopefully all your hard work pays big dividends.
It really does, that's why this is the best forum I've been on, the knowledge I have learned from this forum is knowledge that will help me for the rest of my life. Also I hope this thread will help any others who are building a plot and trying to find a good stand location, one can be found just have to think outside the box

That's a great deal for sure!! Take the time to look at their recommended planting dates to give yourself enough time to allow it to grow well. My mistake over the years with fall plantings is I have gotten them in too late for them to amount to anything to hunt over. You may find with the beans if they get annihilated it may be best to rough up the ground right away and get the new stuff in there to grow.

rsmith

That's a great deal for sure!! Take the time to look at their recommended planting dates to give yourself enough time to allow it to grow well. My mistake over the years with fall plantings is I have gotten them in too late for them to amount to anything to hunt over. You may find with the beans if they get annihilated it may be best to rough up the ground right away and get the new stuff in there to grow.

I was just going to over seed that plot I planted with this stuff sometime next week, the bag recommends by the first week of August, but I may just throw this stuff down than once the majority of them are gone I will tear out and reseed with a pure oat blend, they said on the forage oat blend that it needs to be in by late August

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just scored big at tractor supply!! They missed marked a bag of winterpz food plot mix originally $20 out the door for $3, has a 51% content of oats with some clover and peas, couldn't pass it for that price!

I planted 1/2 ac. of Evolved Harvest Winterpz & Mean Beans last fall. The peas and beans came up 3-4" and the deer moved in one weekend and eat every plant. But come this spring the clover was 75% coverage and the oats came back up and was sparse. Mowed the oats down 2-3 weeks ago after it was mature.
Great clover plot so I will do a freeze top dress next spring for a permanent clover plot.
I would mix more oats with it if you plan on a hunting food plot for this year. IMHO.
But just throwing it on the top of the ground I wouldn't think much will grow as those larger seeds probably needs to be covered. IMHO

rsmith

I planted 1/2 ac. of Evolved Harvest Winterpz & Mean Beans last fall. The peas and beans came up 3-4" and the deer moved in one weekend and eat every plant. But come this spring the clover was 75% coverage and the oats came back up and was sparse. Mowed the oats down 2-3 weeks ago after it was mature.
Great clover plot so I will do a freeze top dress next spring for a permanent clover plot.
I would mix more oats with it if you plan on a hunting food plot for this year. IMHO.
But just throwing it on the top of the ground I wouldn't think much will grow as those larger seeds probably needs to be covered. IMHO
Thank you very much, I am planning on hunting it as my hunting spot but I also have a corn feeder for alternative foot source. But do you think that rolling over the seeds with my atv will help it out? I walked over top of them while it was raining this morning to pack them down to crest a good soil to seed contact

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Thank you very much, I am planning on hunting it as my hunting spot but I also have a corn feeder for alternative foot source. But do you think that rolling over the seeds with my atv will help it out? I walked over top of them while it was raining this morning to pack them down to crest a good soil to seed contact

ATV works, but you dont want to run over other parts of your plot that are already developed. I wouldnt at least.

Oats will grow under the thatch that you have growing. Just spread it, keep it simple and give it time. I promise those oats will take, just do them heavy.

rsmith

ATV works, but you dont want to run over other parts of your plot that are already developed. I wouldnt at least.

Oats will grow under the thatch that you have growing. Just spread it, keep it simple and give it time. I promise those oats will take, just do them heavy.
Okay, I will buy another bag of the forage oats to spread overtop of that, I will keep the atv off of it as well, I will go through with a spreader next week and spread some more oats over everything

rsmith

Excellent, looking good....I see a couple of black straps on the tree in the background, is that where your stand is?
It is where my old stand was at, I am just leaving it up and am going to move it a couple trees over to hunt both possible winds

rsmith

Get a scent smoker and you won't have to worry about that there.
I was really thinking about getting one, I will probably invest in one, I will have to try and dig up the old thread about smokers and read up about them!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I was really thinking about getting one, I will probably invest in one, I will have to try and dig up the old thread about smokers and read up about them!

PM Brock, he'll hook you up. Its One of the best deer hunting investments I've made. Not once was I winded last year!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
PM Brock, he'll hook you up. Its One of the best deer hunting investments I've made. Not once was I winded last year!

They are pretty awesome. I hunted on the ground a few times last year in the late season and had deer walk within. 10 feet of me stop to look then keep walking. I had never seen anything like it.

rsmith

Do you know what his username is? I I'm very interested in the! And cool story Joel! Now I really want one just to see how it works.