Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ryan's fall food plot 2014

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I think you have plenty of trees around buddy just dont be scared to be 15 yards off the plot. TV guys take a lot of heat but one thing I give them credit for is that their sets are normally very good, brushed in, and set off the plot.

Notice guys will hunt a 30-50 acre bean field, they will be tucked in off a good train 25 yards into the woods, and about 15 yards from the trail. Deer are focusing on the bean plot and trail....your focusing on their vitals.

I am by no means and expert but just my advice. Good luck!

PS. Ground blinds are tough! with a compound bow IMO! It can be done tho

rsmith

Okay so I moved the stand and I am very happy with the new location. Here are some pics
It is in the middle tree, look about 3/4 way up the pic and you will see a grey safety harness.

Now here is the view from standing in the stand. I like this location a heck of a lot more

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Excellent move!!! When the leaves are on the ground you'll still have to have your head on a swivel but your much less out in the open. Hope you slay a beast from there!

rsmith

Excellent move!!! When the leaves are on the ground you'll still have to have your head on a swivel but your much less out in the open. Hope you slay a beast from there!
Thank you very much! I know I'm going to have to be on alert but that's alright

rsmith

Looking Real Good! Hope you kill him on the first night and you won't have to worry about the exit. :smiley_clap:

I really hope so! I did last year, opening day that evening was my first ever deer, and a buck at that! Hoping to do the same as last year with the wide frame 8 on my trail camera thread

rsmith

just a quick update, my dad and i just planted everything, and put down 13-13-13 fertilizer over it all than rolled over it with the atv. Now all we need is for the weather man to be right about the rain.

rsmith

Hey everyone, just a quick question, my soybean seeds has rose to the top of the soil leaving them exposed, they are still germinating and getting their roots but my question is should I take the atv and ride over the plots to pack seeds back down from the bad rain storms we had or do you think I should just let them be?

Heck yeah on the stand move!! Looks great! On the beans if they have started sprouting I'd hold off since they are sprouting. Kind of one of the trade offs on broadcasting them. You have anything else planted with the beans?? Deer will nip them off quickly anyways.

rsmith

Heck yeah on the stand move!! Looks great! On the beans if they have started sprouting I'd hold off since they are sprouting. Kind of one of the trade offs on broadcasting them. You have anything else planted with the beans?? Deer will nip them off quickly anyways.

I am using a mix called hot spot, it has rye and wheat and the beans I was just wondering about those because they were sticking out on the top, and thanks i feel very good about the stand move

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I am using a mix called hot spot, it has rye and wheat and the beans I was just wondering about those because they were sticking out on the top, and thanks i feel very good about the stand move

leave them be, go to TSC or CO-OP buy bag or two of oats. Around Labor day spread them all over to fill in spots in plot. The deer will hammer it.

rsmith

leave them be, go to TSC or CO-OP buy bag or two of oats. Around Labor day spread them all over to fill in spots in plot. The deer will hammer it.
Okay, thank you for your help. Would one 50 pound bad be enough for this spot?
It's about 50 yards long by 25 yards wide

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think you did an awesome job thus far. I really like the shape and setup of your plots... and I especially like your new stand placement. I have no doubts that you'll have at least a few opportunities from that tree this fall. Just be very selective on when and how often you hunt it. Sitting right on the plots is a double edged sword... It puts you on the "X" for killing a deer, but it also puts you on the "X" for getting easily busted by the deer. You have to make sure you make the most of your hunts. If you go in and out of there too many times too often, you'll quickly be wasting your time sitting in that tree.

Keep the updates coming!

rsmith

I think you did an awesome job thus far. I really like the shape and setup of your plots... and I especially like your new stand placement. I have no doubts that you'll have at least a few opportunities from that tree this fall. Just be very selective on when and how often you hunt it. Sitting right on the plots is a double edged sword... It puts you on the "X" for killing a deer, but it also puts you on the "X" for getting easily busted by the deer. You have to make sure you make the most of your hunts. If you go in and out of there too many times too often, you'll quickly be wasting your time sitting in that tree.

Keep the updates coming!

Thank you very much! I have been trying to put in a lot of time and effort to get this location ready for the season. I will only be hunting a couple days a month but I have taken a week of vacation from work for opening weak, and another couple days for the 5th to the 9th. Hopefully I will be able to get it done early. But it will be very up close and personal that's for sure. I will probally just overseed my plot with some more of the hot spot mix, I think it is a good blend and it should do well where I planted it. And also because I really don't have anymore options on what to plant cause I already used all my space by planting the hotspot and the biologic bulb and beat mix, I think I will be pretty set this year

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Albert is on point. Leave the beans alone. They won't survive the browsing anyways. Throwing oats down is a great idea. By that point, you'll know how the plot is shaping up and can seed accordingly.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I can tell you put a ton of work into this and it looks great. Hoping it pays off for you and you get a nice one out of that stand. I think you will!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Albert is on point. Leave the beans alone. They won't survive the browsing anyways. Throwing oats down is a great idea. By that point, you'll know how the plot is shaping up and can seed accordingly.

exactly for how much ground you have I would imagine a bag would do you good.

off the top of my head I think oats per acre seeding rate is 100lbs, but I could be off. Also your using it to fill in the gaps.

PS. I do this to everyone of my plots, oats are cheap, grow easy, and my deer always hammer them!

rsmith

Thank you all very much for all the help. I will buy one 50# bag for my plot and spread it over both plots in about 12 days

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Thank you all very much for all the help. I will buy one 50# bag for my plot and spread it over both plots in about 12 days

good luck buddy! you will notice when the deer eat it, itll look torn off, when the rabbits/ghogs itll look clean cut off too. Keep that in mind and youll be amazed at how much the deer nail it!

rsmith

good luck buddy! you will notice when the deer eat it, itll look torn off, when the rabbits/ghogs itll look clean cut off too. Keep that in mind and youll be amazed at how much the deer nail it!

Thanks I will have to look out for that and see what is really eating it! Thank you everyone again for all the help with relocating my stand, and helping me with this plot. I think I'm pretty well set for this year compared to my only source of food for them last year was a PVC corn feeder, now I have all this which will
Hopefully help out a lot