Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ryan's fall food plot 2014

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
TOO tell u the truth, I don't even worry about being winded anymore. I keep my clothes in a plastic tote all season, I cut out a hole that I blow smoke in. I'll let them marinate in that while I smoke my whole body. I'll then put my clothes on and smoke them again. I also smoke everything I take with me too the woods including my bow. A lot of times I'll have a wood block on my floorboard and my smoker will be rolling on the way too hunt, lookin like cheech and chong going down the road.

rsmith

TOO tell u the truth, I don't even worry about being winded anymore. I keep my clothes in a plastic tote all season, I cut out a hole that I blow smoke in. I'll let them marinate in that while I smoke my whole body. I'll then put my clothes on and smoke them again. I also smoke everything I take with me too the woods including my bow. A lot of times I'll have a wood block on my floorboard and my smoker will be rolling on the way too hunt, lookin like cheech and chong going down the road.
Hahah I don't have to drive to my spot which is nice so I won't cheech and chong my truck but I will for sure invest in one next paycheck! You got me sold on one for sure!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Funny thing is, if I ever see a car going down the road with smoke rolling out I'm not going to think Cheech and Chong anymore, I'll wonder if it's someone from TOO.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Funny thing is, if I ever see a car going down the road with smoke rolling out I'm not going to think Cheech and Chong anymore, I'll wonder if it's someone from TOO.

Come around my neck of the woods and you might see my head hanging out of the window cause I can't see or breathe LOL. That don't stop me from doing it though! Plus I just love the smell anyhow.

rsmith

One question I do have about the smoker is can you use and wood chips in the smoker? I see that on the scent smoker website it only has the option for just the smoker? Does he sell a whole kit that comes with chips and the burning attachment?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
One question I do have about the smoker is can you use and wood chips in the smoker? I see that on the scent smoker website it only has the option for just the smoker? Does he sell a whole kit that comes with chips and the burning attachment?

I don't think he sells a kit, just the smoker itself. Propane tanks can be found at Walmart 2/$6 and that should last you most if not all season. A torch ain't that much either and wood chips are around $4 a bag. When you add all that up and compare it to the cost of scent spray (which I have no confidence in anymore) its a no brainer. It pays for itself in a year and you walk into the woods knowing that if properly smoked up no deer will wind you. I've used hickory and apple chips in mine.

rsmith

I don't think he sells a kit, just the smoker itself. Propane tanks can be found at Walmart 2/$6 and that should last you most if not all season. A torch ain't that much either and wood chips are around $4 a bag. When you add all that up and compare it to the cost of scent spray (which I have no confidence in anymore) its a no brainer. It pays for itself in a year and you walk into the woods knowing that if properly smoked up no deer will wind you. I've used hickory and apple chips in mine.
Okay! I was thinking that I could just use a torch and some left over chips I have for smoking stuff on the grill, I think they're apple but anyways thank you very much for your help with this I will for sure buy one very soon I'm eager for it now!

rsmith

Another quick question about my plot, so it has been in the ground for about 3 weeks now, do I need to fertilize it again or should a one time triple 13 be fine for it?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Another quick question about my plot, so it has been in the ground for about 3 weeks now, do I need to fertilize it again or should a one time triple 13 be fine for it?

you can burn it out with to much fert, not sure how much you put down at first but I dont know if doing it again is worth the risk.

rsmith

you can burn it out with to much fert, not sure how much you put down at first but I dont know if doing it again is worth the risk.

I don't know exactly how much I put down, probally 7 or 9 pounds down for about 5/8ths of an acre, this is my first plot ever and I just didn't know if I should fertilize again or not

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

I use smoking chips in either hickory or oak. I did find oak was harder to keep burning.

I just use a single piece of our local Democratic anti-gun newspaper. I make it into a sorta like a cup and put it into the smoker. Put in 1/2 hand full of chips and light the paper edges with a match. Then I get my stuff organized and by that time the chips are burning nicely.
I smoke my under layer, smoke all my 2 outer layer clothes, and fill my backpack up with smoke and zip it shut it with the smoke inside. Get dressed and smoke my light outer layer again. Since I walk to my hunting stand I dress light and put my outer heavy outer layer on at the stand.
It works as I haven't been winded by a deer that I know of in 2 seasons. That's over 300 hrs. of deer hunting.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I don't know exactly how much I put down, probally 7 or 9 pounds down for about 5/8ths of an acre, this is my first plot ever and I just didn't know if I should fertilize again or not

My soil test called for 300 lbs. per acre. I used 12-12-12.
Most seed companies call for about that much poundage per acre. I'd check the seed bag or seed company.