Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

schwacker or rage ???

higbee13

new jersey
Diablo...not saying I couldnt use some I just dont like reusing them I killed some bigbucks with them but again I just kept hearing about these swhackers so I wanted info...not a fixed blade guy honestly ...shot expandables for 17yrs lol but im gonna try these shwackers on doe opening day see what happens

I have killed a lot of deer with muzzy's, some years back I shot one with a 100 grain 3 blade at 10 yards and blew through both padles and the arrow stopped about 2"
from the veins, he plowed dirt with his chin for 15 yards or so and that was it. Now to the Shwackers last year I caught on to a nice buck working a scrape line when I was coming out one night. My son decided he wanted to shoot Shwackers last year and was itching to let one fly, so I did what any dad would do. I have a stand hung right along the crick where this guy was working his scrape line, so that Saturday afternoon I took my summit and we set up together. It's was getting to be about magic time when we saw a young buck headed to us from the west. We were watching him when Jarrod gets my attention and points to the south and there is his buck about 80 yards walking right to us. I kept glancing over at Jarrod and noticed he kept looking down just trying to get his nerves in check. The buck was on a steady walk and when he got within 40 yards he drew. Jarrod was just getting ready to stop him and the buck stopped broadside at 30 SHWACK!!!!!! I got to see the shot from a spectators pov and it was $. He ran about 40yards and stopped in the cut beans, I could see the blood just blowing out of him. The buck swayed then sat down like a dog and fell over he was done. Being old school and shooting fixed blades I was on the fence about mechanicals, but that thing slice through ribs like hot butter and didn't even bend the blades.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406161269.037480.jpg Jarrods Shwacker buck.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
With today's modern archery equipment I don't believe a "marginal shot" exists when talking about bone. No reason you shouldn't be able to reach vitals after hitting any bone except maybe the spine on the front half of a deer if your equipment is up to the task. In this case you blamed the broadhead and yourself for the marginal shot. In my opinion the blame lays 100% on the broadhead. A sturdy fixed blade head like the slick trick you're shooting now would have undoubtedly held together and reached vitals. That's why I don't shoot rages. If one of my target bucks is standing in front of me quartering to while I am at full draw; I'm not going to stand there wishing he would turn broadside so my broadhead can perform. I'm burying my pin on his collar bone and sending that arrow on its way with 100% confidence it's going to slam home and reach vitals. If his vitals are behind the paddle due to the shot angle, we're gonna hear it crack because I'm 100% confident that BH will make it.

Years ago I shot a smaller buck quartering away. The arrow went in behind the last rib, through vitals, busted the paddle bone and was laying on the ground where him jumping flipped it out the exit. Some guys have trouble with paddle bones on entrance. That slick trick managed to bust through on exit.

I also have another bone where a ST busted through the leg bone below the paddle maybe an inch below that big ball joint on exit and still passed through.

I shoot trick because I've seen them perform past my expectations on a rough hit. And the hole they leave is crazy compared to the size of the head.

That's exactly what happened quartering to me. I agree that head should have done its job. I will never shoot another mechanical head. If I can't tune my bow too shoot a fixed blade I won't go to the woods. I learnt my lesson the only thing I wish I would change would be I would have thrower them away after the first time.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I lost a nice buck last year because the rage hypodermic couldn't penetrate the paddle bone. I hit him at 20 yards and he did the chin plow, got my arrow out within 15 yards of the shot and he was gone. Tracked him til we lost blood, still kept looking but never found him. I stopped in at my neighbors taxi shop and there he was on the fuckin wall. Someone else shot him on a neighboring farm.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I lost a nice buck last year because the rage hypodermic couldn't penetrate the paddle bone. I hit him at 20 yards and he did the chin plow, got my arrow out within 15 yards of the shot and he was gone. Tracked him til we lost blood, still kept looking but never found him. I stopped in at my neighbors taxi shop and there he was on the fuckin wall. Someone else shot him on a neighboring farm.

That amazes me not sure if you read my post but mine busted through a does hip bone at 55 yards out of a MAthews Helim at 65lb draw. Not an ultra fast bow, and not shooting a super heavy arrow. The hypodermic busted right through and cut a 2in hole in the hip bone. I wish I would have taken pictures.

I still love fixed blades too, and have killed deer with slick tricks (like those better than muzzy IMO)

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
That amazes me not sure if you read my post but mine busted through a does hip bone at 55 yards out of a MAthews Helim at 65lb draw. Not an ultra fast bow, and not shooting a super heavy arrow. The hypodermic busted right through and cut a 2in hole in the hip bone. I wish I would have taken pictures.

I still love fixed blades too, and have killed deer with slick tricks (like those better than muzzy IMO)

I read yours, and can't believe it busted through. I'm shooting a Mathews monster MR8 70# draw and uncut 11.3 gpi easton fmj's.

rsmith

Also a very good BH is the nap bloodrunner, it is a combo of both fixed and mechanical. I had great success with them, shot my first buck last year with one and had almost complete pass through and one heck of a entrance and exit wound

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I read yours, and can't believe it busted through. I'm shooting a Mathews monster MR8 70# draw and uncut 11.3 gpi easton fmj's.

it did bend the ferrel but it busted straight through, didnt even break the arrow! I will try to find a pic of the BH and post it! It amazes me the different experiences everyone can have with similar gear! I knew you were a big guy from your posts on here, and I figured you were shooting high LBs and a good arrow. One of those just surprising moments I guess, its chalked up too!

higbee13

new jersey
That's awesome lumber head! Beautiful buck man!....I just ordered 3pack of the 2inch shacks gonna try them here in jersey on few does before I take them to ohio for the rut this year...thanks for the posts guys

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
it did bend the ferrel but it busted straight through, didnt even break the arrow! I will try to find a pic of the BH and post it! It amazes me the different experiences everyone can have with similar gear! I knew you were a big guy from your posts on here, and I figured you were shooting high LBs and a good arrow. One of those just surprising moments I guess, its chalked up too!

The sound it made when it hit was like a whip cracking. I thought it made it though when he started eating dirt. I found my arrow sticking horizontally out of a corn stalk and one of the blades was broke. No blood on the arrow at all, just on the broadhead.

I love the entrance hole from rages but I heard the schwacks open inside so all the vitals are being hit by not touched blades which is awesome but the entrance hole isnt big at all ...ive shotten ton of deer with rage but 80percent of them have bent blades which means u arent gettibg that full 2inch cut after entrance
The deployment blades are as sharp as the main blades, those are what punch through the hide leaving the main blades fresh for the vitals. As for the retaining bands they are not typical rubber bands, they are a shrink band. Once you slide one on kiss it with a lighter and it tightens up snug. You get plenty of replacement bands with a 3 pack, but you can buy packs of bands where ever they sell Shwackers for just a couple bucks. I was impressed with their performance, I don't think you will be disappointed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406226768.342289.jpg

higbee13

new jersey
Awesome...yeh I def loose little on entry hole but what drew me to them was the concept of how the vitals are being hit with untouched blades that is crucial the main blades don't take the brunt force of the entry shot...I ordered me a pack so we will see what happens ...thanks bud

Kaiser878

ohio
I think everyone knows my opinion. Ha in all the years of bowhunting ive never had to take a quartering to shot. Meaning, I've never had a missed opportunity on a deer because it was quartering to me. I've shot A LOT of deer with rages. I've blown through the scapula a lot. Any adult mans bow will blow through a scapula. If it doesn't, u didn't hit the scapula. U hit the ball/head of the shoulder socket. Which IMO is the hardest bone in a deer's body.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Rage if I had to chose between your 2 options. I have killed a few deer with the 2blade 100gr and was happy with their performance. My go to will always be an original Muzzy 3blade 100gr green head though!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Flint napped 2 blade. Or when I'm not using a spear, I wont use anything but a Slick Trick. It's peace of mind. The only advantage for using a Rage would be if you hit one far back in the paunch