Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Not sure what too think about this

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Was walking the property line with the property owner tonight discussing what is left to do for the summer before we want to back out for a while before opening day. Looked into the neighbors yard and saw a really tall fence. I asked my property owner what that was all about. Well the guy is breeding deer. Is this going to hurt or help me this year? It's about 100 yards from the property line and about 150 yards from the blind I'll be using. Any ideas on what to expect this year? I know he had at least one doe and two fawns, possibly more.

Dustin

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Was walking the property line with the property owner tonight discussing what is left to do for the summer before we want to back out for a while before opening day. Looked into the neighbors yard and saw a really tall fence. I asked my property owner what that was all about. Well the guy is breeding deer. Is this going to hurt or help me this year? It's about 100 yards from the property line and about 150 yards from the blind I'll be using. Any ideas on what to expect this year? I know he had at least one doe and two fawns, possibly more.

Dustin

Wont do anything but help. Penned up hot does attract wild bucks too. Hunt the trails down wind of that pen come November.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
X2 what Joe said. Our local breeder has stands on all 4 corners of his pen. Happen to know a few dandy bucks died trying to get in too!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I grew up about a 1/4 mile down the road from a guy who breed and raised shooters and albinos. We were out in the middle of farmland, closest woods or anything that would normally hold a deer over a mile away, and we would see lots and lots of deer year round just camping around his pen. Then when I moved to my current home, one of my buddies started raising Fallow and whitetails at the edge of town. He killed a few deer during season that were hanging out in the ditch behind his place. He even let the last 2 acres of his grass just grow and threw piles of brush out there to make them even more comfy

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The other guys are right on point. I see it as a good thing and would definitely spend some time looking for solids stand/blind sites as close to the pen as you can get.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
That's kind of what I figured but wasn't too sure. My blind is about 5 yards from the property line. I will now be talking to my brother in law about maybe throwing up another set. Thanks for the heads up guys.