Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

teenbowhunter's trail cam pics 2014-2015

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Nice bucks! I work at a grocery store and figured I would scavenge through the damage stuff and low and behold I found 2 bottles of syrup, 2 kool aid things one apple and one grape, and 2 things of salt an 2 bags of sugar so I will conduct a little experiment myself from your idea! I love the idea I will make sure to let you know what the deer choose. But thanks for the homemade recipe!
Haha glad to be an inspiration :). Hope it works, apple makes more sense but from what I've heard there's a good chance grape will work better. Will be interesting to see. Good luck

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
After looking through my pictures I think I may have found the two bucks from last year. If they are the same, one blew up and one stayed very similar. Do you guys think they are the same deer and how old do you think they are? If they are the same they are the first deer I have history with :).

Here is the first deer, the pretty 10/11 pointer.
Last year:

This year:

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Here is the second deer. I only had two pictures of him last year two days apart in early September right next to where his most recent pictures were taken.
Last year:

This year:

rsmith

cool pics! first one i would say yes he seamed he has blown up! the second one it may bee a close relative of the same baby daddy, last years looked to have long g3's and this year he looks to have shrunk. It may be him but he does look very close either or

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
cool pics! first one i would say yes he seamed he has blown up! the second one it may bee a close relative of the same baby daddy, last years looked to have long g3's and this year he looks to have shrunk. It may be him but he does look very close either or

I think we both went through the same thought process on that. And ya, a deer that young shouldn't be doing TOO much shrinking.

Haha maybe I was a little overly hopeful. As far as whether or not I'd let an arrow fly I will just have to see how they make me feel when I have a bow in my hand. I would prefer not to shoot a younger buck as they have plenty of potential for the future but I may not be living here... I'm hoping either for them to stick around or something else to show up. Going out to check cams and start my first attempt at a food plot in an hour or two if the landowner is ok with it. Thanks for the input guys!

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Well I made it out and checked all five cams on monday after a two week soak. This was the only pic I got of any buck worth mentioning and I cant even tell if its the same bucks. Would prefer to have some good pics but there's still time.

I had set up a stand last year in a very thick area that we had discovered on the last day of the 2012-2013 season. There was more fresh sign in the snow than we had ever found on this farm. The deer appeared to funnel along the top of the flat, thick overgrown ridge from their bedding to the corn field. Last season the stand pretty much sucked because the field was in beans. I decided to try and make a small food plot/staging area because their were very few shot opportunities due to it being so thick and they often went by well out of range. I figure if I can get it planted and stay out they will feel comfortable there. Other hunters have stands all around this area but none of them have closed the route from the bedding through the thick stuff so I really think this is my best shot at a deer this season.
When I went in to clear out an area for the plot, the trails were decimated by the deer and there was a huge hole in the ground filled with water where I had once had a trophy rock for two months before moving it. It also looked like they had opened a pretty nice rub next to it. In two hours I was able to clear out a nice sized area and use the trees to funnel them where I want them to come through. I also sprayed it all with weed killer and covered myself in poison ivy/oak :). I am planning to go back in in a week or two and till it up and plant some sort of shade tolerant mix, any suggestions?

The hole and rub:

Before and after:

Sorry about the long post. I also moved a trail cam right next to my stand so I can check it easily, will check it whenever I plant just to see if anything came through. I covered the log in the hole pic with my homemade salt/syrup mix and the cam is over it and the rub.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Got to love the enthusiasm Teen. Hope the hard work pays off for you. In regards to the poison ivy, we have a thread about it. Check out Zanfel. It works well on the itchy stuff.

rsmith

That looks like an awesome looking spot! And nice rub too!! Good job clearing that brush too!

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Thanks guys, really looking forward to checking the cam at this spot whenever I make it in to plant. Hopefully I didn't make too much of a disturbance I just couldn't think of any other way that this spot would work out. As for the poison ivy I'm using plenty of hydro-cortisone cream and taking 80 mg of Prednisone a day. Do any of you guys have any experience with small 1/8 to 1/4 acre food plots like this? If so what would you recommend planting and when? I was thinking some sort of shade tolerant clover/rye/brassica mix or something along those lines and planting within the next two weeks but I wasn't sure. I had to cut everything down with a saw and nippers but I have a gas powered tiller and a handheld spreader for the planting.

rsmith

Thanks guys, really looking forward to checking the cam at this spot whenever I make it in to plant. Hopefully I didn't make too much of a disturbance I just couldn't think of any other way that this spot would work out. As for the poison ivy I'm using plenty of hydro-cortisone cream and taking 80 mg of Prednisone a day. Do any of you guys have any experience with small 1/8 to 1/4 acre food plots like this? If so what would you recommend planting and when? I was thinking some sort of shade tolerant clover/rye/brassica mix or something along those lines and planting within the next two weeks but I wasn't sure. I had to cut everything down with a saw and nippers but I have a gas powered tiller and a handheld spreader for the planting.
A nice bag of some throw and grow with radish would be nice for their. It's shade tolerant and grows good in spots like that, well from my experience at least

rsmith

Thanks for the homemade mix recipe the deer love it! Threw it on a rotting long about 50 yards from my back door and they're tearing it up! Pulled in from work lastnight and there was 3 does right at it!

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Thanks for the homemade mix recipe the deer love it! Threw it on a rotting long about 50 yards from my back door and they're tearing it up! Pulled in from work lastnight and there was 3 does right at it!

Haha, thats awesome. Will have to try Kool Aid next time i make some. I'll see if I can mix some turnips with some other seed if I can find some. Im going to plant on Saturday since it looks like we are going to get some rain next week. I figure if I use a couple different kinds of seed it will increase the odds of at least one of them working.

rsmith

Haha, thats awesome. Will have to try Kool Aid next time i make some. I'll see if I can mix some turnips with some other seed if I can find some. Im going to plant on Saturday since it looks like we are going to get some rain next week. I figure if I use a couple different kinds of seed it will increase the odds of at least one of them working.
Yeah green apple kool aide, the big container. And that sounds like a good idea. Dicks has all their food plot stuff on sale for 25% off just for a heads up

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Well I got the plot planted on Saturday, just need some rain now. I weed whacked, raked off the vegetation, tilled with a push tiller, raked off more vegetation, fertilized with triple 12, raked it in, seeded a brassica mix of turnip and rape, seeded rye heavy on the edges and light in the middle, and lightly raked it in. I also put down a trophy rock and took a leak under some overhanging branches. Had a cam on the spot, seems to be quite a few does and a real nice button buck...lol. Should be more action once the corn is harvested. Its still somewhat green so that might be a little while.