Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

teenbowhunter's trail cam pics 2014-2015

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
I've only been able to hunt there a few times, mostly for turkey, but it is in Wood County I believe. I have found three sheds and a really nice deadhead there while turkey hunting though

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Welcome. You have pics of some great deer. That first one is a stud! The one you have your eye on would be a 2 year old in my opinion...hard to be sure from that angle. Keep knocking on doors and offering help, it will pay off eventually. If you are planning on going to college pick a redneck school lol. My son went to Glenville State in WV. The deer weren't big but the hunting opportunities were endless.

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Lol ya I lived in Alabama until I was seven and the hunting there is pretty similar to that. I'm actually looking at possibly going to school in Colorado or Oregon because I've done well in school and can get some scholarships. Out there there's so much public land you don't even have to knock on doors :).
You definitely could be right about him being two. The only reason I think he might be three is because I think the eight from last year was 2.5 if you compare him to the deer he was with in the pic who I think was 1.5. It might just be the velvet but he just seems to have enough mass to possibly be 3.5.

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Checked the cam that the buck had been showing up on for the first time since the 28th. I didn't get a single picture of him. He might be in a cornfield but the nearest one is at least a mile away. I only had pictures of one buck on all three cams and it was a dink. Hopefully they'll show up

rsmith

Checked the cam that the buck had been showing up on for the first time since the 28th. I didn't get a single picture of him. He might be in a cornfield but the nearest one is at least a mile away. I only had pictures of one buck on all three cams and it was a dink. Hopefully they'll show up
If you build it, they will come and find it!

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
[Thanks Full Bore.

Even though I have never used them, I had some spare time about two months ago and decided to try to make something similar to buck jam or stumptopper to attract deer to mineral sites. I used syrup, molasses, salt. and vanilla. I made three different batches, each about 1.5 cups. I added lemonade mix to one batch, a pureed apple to another, and brown sugar to the last. I put them out on different days and it rained right after I poured the apple one out so that may have washed a lot of the salt away. I put the first two on hard, not rotten stumps and the other on a small rotten log. I put them in the woods behind my neighbors house (with permission) and put a cam over them. Deer started hammering them immediately, with some deer spending close to an hour a day on them. The deer almost solely concentrated on the lemonade one at first, occasionally using the apple. After a couple weeks they switched to mostly using the apple, probably because they had chewed all of the lemonade one off. Once most of those two were gone they used the brown sugar more. On rotten stumps or dirt it probably would have lasted a little longer but it did way better than I expected for how little I put out. I then made a few gallons to put out at mineral sites with everything in this picture.

This is what the apple one looked like after pouring. I was almost tempted to taste it.

Here is what the lemonade one looked like after drying

Here are some pics from the camera

Will post pics from mineral sites when I get some more time.

Attachments

• stumpingredients_zpsc8b221f5.jpg
    stumpingredients_zpsc8b221f5.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 101

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Thank you. After putting this out in front of four different cams, three of which already had trophy rocks and two of which had black magic, I saw a pretty impressive increase in pics. As you can see in the pic, this batch had apple concentrate and lemonade in it. Some of the salt and lemonade didn't pour out because my spatula was too short to reach the bottom of the container. Anyways, I got pics of two nice bucks (young I think, but nice) traveling around. This property is actually one smaller close to 100 acre property about 1 mile upriver from a 5-600 acre property. Finally got some pics of decent bucks :smiley_clap:. I first got pics of these two bucks on one occasion on the smaller property over just my homemade mix. Then I got one set of pics upstream about a half mile away on the smaller property over a trophy rock and the homemade stuff. Then I got pics of the buck with split brows about a mile downstream over a trophy rock, homemade stuff, and black magic. He showed up there three times over two days and disappeared. I checked the cams on the 16th and the last pics of the buck were on the 5th. Definitely supports the theory of bucks wandering around and splitting up this time of year. Here the pics are in order:
(it was very foggy on this morning)

Not sure on age and score. If any of you guys want to take a guess I'd love to hear them. They both have a lot of potential but this might be my last season in Ohio and everyone else who hunts these properties would take them. I'd be quite happy to have either as my first deer/buck with a bow(assuming they ever show back up). I think it might be time to take the cams off of mineral sites.

I know it will sound funny, but they love bird seed! Just your average wild bird mix, it's full of corn, milo and sunflower seeds. The deer absolutely ransack my lower hanging bird feeders in my yard!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I know it will sound funny, but they love bird seed! Just your average wild bird mix, it's full of corn, milo and sunflower seeds. The deer absolutely ransack my lower hanging bird feeders in my yard!

I think that's one reason I got permission to hunt my neighbor's property. Old lady is like 85, she said "yeah go ahead and hunt the deer. They steal from my bird feeder". lol

They love it, I have put record rack 30-06 in my deer feeder, it's basically bird food with a mineral supplement. They like it but so dose every other critter in the woods.

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Lol maybe I'll try that. A lot less obvious than a corn pile

Nice bucks. Throw some grape koolaid in there and see how they do.
That's funny, I actually was going to try that I just didn't have any. I figured the lemonade worked so well I should probably just use it but I think I'm gonna try koolaid at some point.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Distinctive smell which is strong. Be worth a try. I hear they like it. Tried it once with no good results but it rained like mad that night. Haven't tried it since.

rsmith

Nice bucks! I work at a grocery store and figured I would scavenge through the damage stuff and low and behold I found 2 bottles of syrup, 2 kool aid things one apple and one grape, and 2 things of salt an 2 bags of sugar so I will conduct a little experiment myself from your idea! I love the idea I will make sure to let you know what the deer choose. But thanks for the homemade recipe!