Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Joel's trail cam 2014-2015

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
That new buck is a good lookin one too! I was under the impression you were hunting in your backyard but that is cool that your family shares a passion for deer as much as you do! But you may get some brave deer that will show up before dark who knows?? But you got some good looking deer at your house can't wait to see the ones at your hunting ground

Sort of. This camera is in my yard but one hunting spot is about 40 yards away in the woods. So same deer they just hang out in the woods real close until dark. The other hunting spot is about a mile from here with a 30 acre patch of woods surrounded by corn and bean fields. I actually seem to have much more deer activity here at the house but many of the bucks I see down the road are the same ones.

The one doe keeps showing up at the camera about 1/2 hour before it's totally dark. Shooting one in the yard would be possible but the odds go way up if I get in the woods just next to here. You can actually see the tree line in the daytime pictures it's so close.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
New bucks. I haven't looked through the buck pictures too close except the big one from last year. The one on the left has been here before I think but the other is a new one. Crappy picture I took from a video.

Attachments

• IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 84

rsmith

Sort of. This camera is in my yard but one hunting spot is about 40 yards away in the woods. So same deer they just hang out in the woods real close until dark. The other hunting spot is about a mile from here with a 30 acre patch of woods surrounded by corn and bean fields. I actually seem to have much more deer activity here at the house but many of the bucks I see down the road are the same ones.

The one doe keeps showing up at the camera about 1/2 hour before it's totally dark. Shooting one in the yard would be possible but the odds go way up if I get in the woods just next to here. You can actually see the tree line in the daytime pictures it's so close.
Gottcha!! I could see the tree line and I was like well maybe he's hunting back their, but that other spot seams like it would be a perfect spot, I guess it's just a matter of finding there trail

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Alright. So I moved the camera from my yard to just inside the woods about 100 yards from where the trail cam pictures are. I cut a couple lanes, set up my blind then threw some corn and the salt block about 25 yards in front of my blind. There is a fence line there and a really heavy deer trail, a corn field within 75 yards, a field, thick woods, brush... It's sort of right at the place where all these areas come together. The blind has been there for maybe a week and the corn has been there since yesterday. I think it would be an awesome spot without the corn, but it seems to help even more to get the deer in a little closer and hang out a little longer.

I don't plan on messing with the trail cam for awhile so I went out to see what I could see from my yard. I walked out with binos and saw a doe so I went in and got the camera. I sat for about a half hour watching a doe, a fawn and then a decent buck hang out within 10 yards of the blind. I think there will be deer meat in the freezer this season.

I also set up a cam at the other property with a trophy rock a week ago but have not checked it yet.

Here are a few pictures from probably 80-90 yards away from the blind zoomed in.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 83

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Thanks guys. I am getting excited for sure. I still need to get a stand at the other property but it looks like I should be able to get a deer or two out of this blind if I decide to. Now I just have to be patient and not shoot the first buck I see opening day.

rsmith

Thanks guys. I am getting excited for sure. I still need to get a stand at the other property but it looks like I should be able to get a deer or two out of this blind if I decide to. Now I just have to be patient and not shoot the first buck I see opening day.
Hahah just keep in mind that that buck you wanted last year is still up and running around for this year! That will help steer your decision

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I think this is the buck from my first trail cam pic in this thread. Interesting looking deer but I don't think I'd shoot him this year unless it was the last week of the season and I still had a tag. Hopefully he grows for a couple years and he could be pretty cool.

Attachments

• WGI_0001.jpg
    WGI_0001.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 83
  • WGI_0002.jpg
    WGI_0002.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 83

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think this is the buck from my first trail cam pic in this thread. Interesting looking deer but I don't think I'd shoot him this year unless it was the last week of the season and I still had a tag. Hopefully he grows for a couple years and he could be pretty cool.

Just a thought: He makes it all the way thru all the gun seasons. You pass him early season. Why shoot him the last week? If he made it that far and survived AND you would like to see him next year. . . I know I know. I have been there before. It is tough to pass if you get a late season opportunity on a solid buck. Just something to ponder.

Nice deer. Hope you tag a big one this year!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Thanks guys! saying I'm ready to start shooting at deer is an understatement. I cannot wait...

I went out to freshen up the corn so I pulled the card while I was out there. I plan on scattering about 25 lbs of corn once a week until we get about two weeks before the season starts. Then I'll probably dump a couple hundred pounds and leave it for two weeks before I hunt. I have another spot that I am going to hunt more but this is my guaranteed to spot a deer set up about 75 yards from my back porch to the blind. Here's a few of the best pictures from this pull, the big one I'm after was back this morning after disappearing for a few weeks.

Attachments

• WGI_0009.jpg
    WGI_0009.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 82
  • WGI_0010.jpg
    WGI_0010.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 85
  • WGI_0017.jpg
    WGI_0017.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 81
  • WGI_0023.jpg
    WGI_0023.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 82
  • WGI_0036.jpg
    WGI_0036.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 82
  • WGI_0052.jpg
    WGI_0052.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 86
  • WGI_0053.jpg
    WGI_0053.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 82

rsmith

We all know how you feel! It couldn't be here soon enough, but very cool
Pics once again. That big buck you got looks very nice! Hopefully you'll get a shot on him opening day and drop him their