Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Late Hatch

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dad found this while hoggin at the farm today. Maybe this explains the lack of action during turkey season?

uploadfromtaptalk1405207262744.jpg

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Same thing I found last Sunday bush hogging but I ran across them. The hen flushed under my tractor and scared the shit out of me.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My landowner in Fayette sent me a pic yesterday of a nest that hatched 3 days ago. He's been keeping tabs on them since finding the nest a while back while clearing brush. He had seen a gobbler strutting for a hen long after our season closed. I assumed it was a fluke thing, interesting to see others finding them so late!

In early june when i was home for the wedding. i called in birds that were very reactive and gobbled back the whole time to within 30 yards. My dad said he had seen a mature tom breeding hens behind the garage until just last week. I think these late harsh winters are messing everything up.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I believe it was the wet spring. Here in SW Ohio it's rained every week. Been a wet year.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've been seeing 5-7 hens in the yard and food plot for couple weeks now. But none have had any young with them. Looks like a poor hatch year.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've been seeing 5-7 hens in the yard and food plot for couple weeks now. But none have had any young with them. Looks like a poor hatch year.
It was like that around the house up until about two weeks ago. Now there are two hens with poults. Not sure about the others as the beans are getting too tall to tell if there a little ones with them.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've had 6-7 hens around my feeder several times during the last 2 weeks and none of them had any poults with them.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I was coming through my food plot today on the way back from my woods and kicked up 3-4 hens turkeys with about 15 poults about the size of grouse. The little buggers sure could fly good. At first I thought they were grouse but we don't have grouse here then the hens flew up. They were in the clover patch.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Had 4 hens and 13 poults in the front yard this morning. Probably the same flock I flushed in my clover batch last Saturday.