Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Asking Permission ....a Problem , My Ears are Ringing

This afternoon I had a Doctor visit

So I felt it was a perfict time to ask permission to hunt a farm nexst to one I already hunt
The landowner of the farm I already hunt gave me the name and address of the other owner

I am dressed decent , I will not got to the doctors dressed like a bumb

I knocked on the front door about 5 PM
A guy answered and I ask him if he owned the farm

Yep

I then ask for permission to hunt it
He went off on me
Not just a NO
But a NO and he started yelling and screaming at me all kinds of cuss words and insults

I had no idea on how to deal with him
So I just said I am sorry I bothered you and started to leave

As I walked to my truck I came outside and kept up the yelling
Till I was almost to my truck

I have gotten turned down a bunch of times
But this was the first time I got yelled at for asking

Anyone else get a hot head to go off on you ??

John

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This afternoon I had a Doctor visit

So I felt it was a perfict time to ask permission to hunt a farm nexst to one I already hunt
The landowner of the farm I already hunt gave me the name and address of the other owner

I am dressed decent , I will not got to the doctors dressed like a bumb

I knocked on the front door about 5 PM
A guy answered and I ask him if he owned the farm

Yep

I then ask for permission to hunt it
He went off on me
Not just a NO
But a NO and he started yelling and screaming at me all kinds of cuss words and insults

I had no idea on how to deal with him
So I just said I am sorry I bothered you and started to leave

As I walked to my truck I came outside and kept up the yelling
Till I was almost to my truck

I have gotten turned down a bunch of times
But this was the first time I got yelled at for asking

Anyone else get a hot head to go off on you ??

John

Doctors, dentist, and lawyers are from my experience the biggest assholes that buy land in the country. I don't think I've met a one yet that doesn't have a posted sign every 5 feet.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sorry to hear John. You/we carry around with us the stigma that trespassers,poachers and other unethical slobs have helped conjure up in the minds of many LO's over the years........but that in no way gave with the right to talk to you like that! What a ASSHOLE!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Sorry to hear John. You/we carry around with us the stigma that trespassers,poachers and other unethical slobs have helped conjure up in the minds of many LO's over the years........but that in no way gave with the right to talk to you like that! What a ASSHOLE!

X2. You handled that situation well. I don't think I would of been able to keep my mouth shut! You never know, since you handled it well maybe he'll have second thoughts about letting you hunt.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Damn that sorta ruins your day.
Reminds me of a sign at a farm on the way to Indiana.

No Hunting, No Trespassing, No Fishing, No Nothing and Don't Ask.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I've had my ass chewed for asking to deer hunt one time. He chewed and cussed me until my truck was back on the road. The next fall the guy stopped as we were getting ready to dump the coondogs out just a half mile down the road. He said you are more then welcome too kill every coon and ground hog on his farm and even mentioned a couple other farms he had. He was almost begging. I looked at the guy and asked him if he remembered cussing me out of the drive way that summer? He said yes kinda sheepishly. I said I hope the coon eat every ear of corn and every bean plant you have. I told him too have a good evening as me and dad headed to the woods with the dogs.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Taking ass chewings is part of my job. Two things remain constants. One is that most times the second conversation goes much better than the first. Two, its hard to know what is going on in a person's life that caused them to act like that.

Might not hurt to call him in couple weeks and play dumb. See if its a different convo.

Huckleberry Finn

Taking ass chewings is part of my job. Two things remain constants. One is that most times the second conversation goes much better than the first. Two, its hard to know what is going on in a person's life that caused them to act like that.

Might not hurt to call him in couple weeks and play dumb. See if its a different convo.

Those words are golden. Agree 100%.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
That flat out sucks John. Not sure I could have remained cool. You could have been the straw that broke his back.

I've never been chewed out for asking. But, Ric is right. We are all thought of as the last idiot that drove his pickup through a newly planted field.

My only problem is getting landowners to sign permission slips. They feel that signing the slip is making them liable in some way. Some places I hunt without the written permission. So far it has not been an issue.

I only deer hunt on my property, my dads property and one other farm. So most of my asking is for hunting groundhogs, crows, raccoon, fox and yotes. I stress from the get go that I have no desire to hunt deer, turkey or any other game animals. Funny thing is that after a few sessions of hunting groundhogs most landowners welcome me to bowhunt deer on the property but I very seldom do that. I thank them for the invitation and say if I decide to do that I will let them know.

I made these cards that I hand to the landowner at my approach. I erased my name and phone number on the card for posting. On the back of the card is the model and color of both my pickup and my Jeep. These cards seem to work very well for me. I tell the landowner to keep them and if I ever do something that he has an issue with he has my name and phone number.

Attachments

• huntcard.JPG
    huntcard.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 122

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's good stuff Dick. I have a brochure I use that offers similar info as your card. They've earned me 2 properties because I "wowed" the owners. I got the layout from Joe and its been invaluable so far.

I've never been chewed out for asking. But, Ric is right. We are all thought of as the last idiot that drove his pickup through a newly planted field.

My only problem is getting landowners to sign permission slips. They feel that signing the slip is making them liable in some way. Some places I hunt without the written permission. So far it has not been an issue.

I only deer hunt on my property, my dads property and one other farm. So most of my asking is for hunting groundhogs, crows, raccoon, fox and yotes. I stress from the get go that I have no desire to hunt deer, turkey or any other game animals. Funny thing is that after a few sessions of hunting groundhogs most landowners welcome me to bowhunt deer on the property but I very seldom do that. I thank them for the invitation and say if I decide to do that I will let them know.

I made these cards that I hand to the landowner at my approach. I erased my name and phone number on the card for posting. On the back of the card is the model and color of both my pickup and my Jeep. These cards seem to work very well for me. I tell the landowner to keep them and if I ever do something that he has an issue with he has my name and phone number.

Nice set up on the card
I may just have to reword it some and print some out
As I normaly use a 223 , but the Marlin 882 SSV in 22 mag is a great 2 gun and the 10/22 works well also with the Sub Sonic ammo for stealth ground hog smacking

Thinking about it now
Getting in to shoot ground hogs would be a good first step
To also get permission to hunt deer and Tree Rats

John

yotehunter

spencerville oh

I carry a index box full of index cards with landowners names and a statement saying I assume my own risk. And then they just sign it each year. I keep them in alphabetical order. And I always offer my phone number and what vehicles I would hunt out of. But I still have a few guys that tell me just go hunt and if I have trouble from WO too give him a call anytime day or night. And I will say a lot of my deer hunting permission came from coon hunting and ground hog hunting. Its the way too get your foot in the door.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I use the same ODNR form. But, many landowners will not sign them. They will grant permission, but won't sign anything. In all the years that signed permission has been a law I've never been checked.

I have been told by our WO the only time they ask for a permission slip is if there is a complaint or if its in the co op program with DNR. Because I asked him point blank what a hunter is supposed to do if the landowner won't sign. And that was his answer.