Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Asking Permission ....a Problem , My Ears are Ringing

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have been told by our WO the only time they ask for a permission slip is if there is a complaint or if its in the co op program with DNR. Because I asked him point blank what a hunter is supposed to do if the landowner won't sign. And that was his answer.

I would say it would vary on the local GW. I know what our GW would do.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I would say it would vary on the local GW. I know what our GW would do.

I may be wrong here but I've heard if the landowner doesn't press the charges the WO doesn't have a leg to stand on unless its in the co op. Is this right or wrong . I'm just going by hear say. Don't throw bricks here guys I'm just wondering.

I may be wrong here but I've heard if the landowner doesn't press the charges the WO doesn't have a leg to stand on unless its in the co op. Is this right or wrong . I'm just going by hear say. Don't throw bricks here guys I'm just wondering.

Nope
I had a GW even show me how the law is in the books he carryed in his trunk
A GW can write you up for hunting on any privite land ( not your own ) without writen permission
It was explained to me that a GW "CAN" write you up , even if you are hunting with the land owner
But he told me , that would get him in HOT WATER

I got chewed out by a GW last fall , while I was rabbit hunting
As I had left the signed permission slip in the truck

So I did a little research
A GW can even enter your house to search your freezer , if he thinks poached game is in the freezer
Also , it used to be the only 2 people that could arest a Sherif ( that has changed some )
Was a GW and the County Corinor

A GW has more things he can write you up for , that just game laws

John

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have been told by our WO the only time they ask for a permission slip is if there is a complaint or if its in the co op program with DNR. Because I asked him point blank what a hunter is supposed to do if the landowner won't sign. And that was his answer.
Correct. It woukd take a GW on a mission to ticket you in this case. I rarely have LOs sign slips if I know them personally. If I get stopped and its an issue, I'll just call them.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm just unlucky so I have a signed permission slip for each property I hunt off my own farm. I carry it in my hunting backback. The backback is always with me when I hunt so I don't have to remember the slip and hunting license.
And I surely wouldn't want to take a chance with our local GW.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure about their boundaries. In certain situations (the scene of a working fire for example) the fire chief oversteps the police and anyone else involved. I am sure their authority is similar. Has to be something in line with the mission they are attempting to accomplish. Regardless, they still have to follow the Constitution. Our local let me in on this. "Can they do these things?" Yes. Do they still need warrants and just cause to search? Yes.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Correct. It woukd take a GW on a mission to ticket you in this case. I rarely have LOs sign slips if I know them personally. If I get stopped and its an issue, I'll just call them.

Same with me, I think some landowners would love too go to court over them not signing a slip. They don't want the law to tell them how to run their land. You know what I mean? I would say the gw would look kinda stupid when you show up to court with the landowner when you walk through the door.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Not sure about their boundaries. In certain situations (the scene of a working fire for example) the fire chief oversteps the police and anyone else involved. I am sure their authority is similar. Has to be something in line with the mission they are attempting to accomplish. Regardless, they still have to follow the Constitution. Our local let me in on this. "Can they do these things?" Yes. Do they still need warrants and just cause to search? Yes.
Yes that is true Phil the don't need a warrent. Just a probable cause.

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Yes that is true Phil the don't need a warrent. Just a probable cause.

Depends on what they are searching, a vehicle, game bag, pockets of your coat, sure as long as they suspect some sort of law is being broke. They can come on to your land anytime they please, but they can not come into your home without your permission or a warrant. One of the things I give up doing taxidermy is they can come at any reasonable hour and inspect my records. I have to show them any animal I have recorded on my records, but they can't just start searching my freezer. I don't even have to let them in.The one time I got Inspected. He came in looked around, and looked at a few things in plan sight. We stood there and talked about deer hunting longer than anything else.
I suggest anybody that hunts read ORC 1531.13 http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1531.13

Last edited:

Derek j

Knox Co.
Fire Chief has jurisdiction over any fire scene or motor vehicle accident, but doesn't have the authority to arrest. The only member of the fire service that can make a legal arrest is a state fire investigator. All state investigators carry side arms in the trunk of their car just for this reason. When on a fire scene that is caused by arson, the culprit will usually hide in crowds of onlookers to relish in their fiery doing. The State allowed the investigators to carry and make arrests so that they could nab arsonists at the scene. 99.999% of the time LE has already been on scene for hours though, so it is usually a moot point. I can't think of any investigators actually making an arrest.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Just dont open the door for them. You do not have to step out of your car for any reason other than to be arrested. I have several friends that are LEO's and basically they tell people what they "want to do" but more in a tone of "Im going to do this". 99% of the time people allow it. Same with a GW. They cant just go in someone's house or garage without a warrant. Im sure many people on here have some dead head skulls from deer that arent tagged, so I sure as hell wouldnt open my doors for a GW, not that I have any.:smiley_coolpeace: