Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil's 2014 picture thread

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice 8pt. Not a scoring machine but a rock solid 8pt typical of what we see around here in our mature deer. This is believed to be a 4.5yr old deer. Wish I could share a couple others but I am afraid the background scenery says too much about the location. Sadly, I have seen deer poached here before and i have dealt with too many trespassers.

rsmith

That's an awesome 8 you got their, and that's terriable you have to worry about poaching and trespassers, idiots ruin it for everyone

Nice buck Phil! I know what you mean about giving up too much info. Josh was at my house last night and asked what I had on camera, I told him just a couple of dinks and he called me a liar lol!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Those Brownings take a pretty clear and nice pic Phil! Nice up and comer.

First pull of the two Browning cameras I bought. Pulled after 10days because I wanted to make sure they were working properly. Rained hard that night and two days since. Perfect timing for a pull. Probably won't touch them again for close to a month when it is raining again. Or. . .might wait until I am in the area hunting. I don't care about pictures as much as I used to. Undisturbed area seems to be more important than camera pictures. Opinion might change some day, but for now this is my opinion.

Thanks RSmith and Boarhead. Need to see him hard antlered to make a decision. Beautiful buck. No denying it. 4.5yr old is a trophy to me, doe or buck. Then again, I am okay eating a tag awaiting something better to come along. Done it before. There are no guarantees when it comes to tagging a buck. I have been very lucky/fortunate/blessed/whatever you want to call it. Killing a buck or not killing one isn't going to change who I am. I am a hunter first. Love being out there. Head hunter second. That said, if I kill a buck, it will be a good one in MY eyes. If I don't kill one, I will still enjoy the thrill of the hunt and take some pictures and videos of smaller ones from the stand. Life is short. Got to stop and enjoy the woods.

Hoping to get a deer for my cousin this season. He has dreamed of coming up to Ohio to hunt whitetails for years. He is a true mountain man from the mountains of western NC. Also hoping to get my son out there more this season. He has shown interest. At 10 years old, soccer is his first love though. Don't want to push him to the point he hates deer hunting. Just want to nudge him enough to enjoy it and appreciate it.

Derek- Just for you. You can show this one to Josh. Here is my target buck for 2014-2015. lol

2014 target buck.jpg

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Looks like a good buck to me Phil. I just picked up a Browning Cam this summer. I changed the settings to time lapse plus when I left it yesterday. It's set up at what should be a good entry & exit point to deer coming and going from fields to bedding. I'll be interested to see the results.