Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting land for the first time.

Creb19

Hello everyone I need some help. I just started hunting last year and killed my first buck. "9 point" It took a solid hit to me and now I will probably hunt for the rest of my life I absolutely love it. I'm getting taught more and more and I'm learning new things everyday. This year I want to harvest a nice buck of course that's everyone's goal right. I got permission to hunt approx. 15 acres of woods and at the end of the woods there is a tall grass field with bushes here and there and the deer have been feeding there every night. A few nights I sat off about 300 yards away and watched the doe's and some of the bucks feed. I don't want to set trail cams up because I do not want them stolen as it's happened on this property before. From what I was told. My plan is to hit this spot the first day of the season. I'm not sure what to do. Take a walk back and look for deer trails and maybe set a stand up.....or wait a few days before and find a spot in the tall grass to put up a blind. I'm asking for helping because I don't know exactly what to do or where to put my stand. Little help before bow season comes in thanks!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Welcome to the forum and good luck.

If you plan to use a blind, you need to scout a spot for it and set it up ASAP. DO NOT wait to put a blind in that field until a few days before. Look at it like this. If someone came in to your kitchen/dining room and added a giant recliner to the decor while you were at work, you think you'd notice? Its the same concept with the deer. They need time to get used to the new addition. Spend plenty of time brushing it in and let it mellow as long as you can before season arrives.

If you plan to take a stand in, I would scout it out now and pick a few spots based on different wind directions. With hunting a small piece of property like this, your biggest concern should be entrance/exit routes. If you are bumping deer going in and out, it won't take long to burn that property out. Whatever scouting needs done should happen ASAP so that you can let the deer readjust before the season arrives.

Creb19

Alrighty thanks for the info I'll go with a stand and start in on it tomorrow! Thanks.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Can you post an aerial photo? Possibly from Google maps. We should be able to give you some advice based on that.

Like the guys said an aerial photo should be a great help, also try to figure where they are bedding and feeding. With that info and the map you can figure the best ambush point and how to get in and out with out bumping deer. Welcome to TOO.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
And remember deer will change their patterns as seasons change. I always like scouting right before I know its going to rain and even then I do it mid day. This will disperse your sent faster. Like bow hunter said get in there asap and get things up and hung. Scouting from a ways off is a good practice. That way you have a idea of where the deer are moving to and from before you step foot in their bedroom. Any pinch points or fence rows from other woods are good places too. Good luck and welcome.

Creb19 like the others have said start taking a look at your property from above. Simply go to Google and type in your address. Once a map shows up there click on it and there should be the option to go to satellite version. That's a good start to get that birds eye view. If you need help on clipping a picture from that to post up for help just ask.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great points posted already. Least intrusive entry/exit routes comes to mind for me as well. Stand locations giving you the advantage based on wind directions is another great point. Tree stand selection is something which takes practice. I get a little better every year. I have one which is perfect. Then leaves come off and I stick out like a sore thumb. No right or wrong answers here. Some of it a person simply learns by making mistakes. Some stands are better in mornings or evenings. Some better early or late season. This is learned thru trial and error.

I think the best thing is watching from afar like you are doing. You can watch all summer but then some chucklehead comes in the weekend before the season and bumps them out or turns them nocturnal. Numerous variables. Best thing is to stay out. Learn. Surgically pick at it eliminating stand locations based on summer intel. Then slide in during the rain in midday, hang a stand, and get out.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Im not sure if any of the fellas mentioned this but if your a new hunter, and new to treestands dont forget your safety harness. Be a shame to get into hunting and fall out of a tree!

All hunters need to wear them, but something a new hunter might forget! Dont forget it and good luck!

higbee13

new jersey
Yes definitely use google earth or some sort of aerial photo alot of times you can see natural funnels or pinch points without even setting foot in your woods! Biggest thing is to find the best entrance points to where you plan on hunting without disturbing the deer in their core area and play the WIND and you do just fine