Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ODNR Survey.

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
I have held a license in ohio for 5 years (this coming year being 6) and my email addy was given every year and I have not recieved this survey.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have held a license in ohio for 5 years (this coming year being 6) and my email addy was given every year and I have not recieved this survey.

This is the first year this survey has been used. Unlike the surveys of years past that we're confusing this with, this one had far fewer questions and was posted on their website. They also sent out emails to get the word out, I'm not sure to how many people but way more than the select few of years past. The normal deer hunter surveys that have been sent to a select few in the past were done by the DNR. This one is being done as a special project by an OSU person.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Would the data behind this survey some day become subject to freedom of information act?

Depends. Probably not directly from the OSU person unless it was funded by the DNR. Or if that person gives the DNR the raw data. But most certainly the results will be given to the DNR and those would be subject. Basically. If the DNR or the university paid for it, it's subject to FOIA. If they didn't, but gave the results or data to the DNR, then those results are subject to FOIA.

bluedog

They seem to be doing a decent job of getting the word out. I actually saw the link and accessed the survey via Twitter before I ever checked my email. It is up on Facebook too and I noticed that a lot of people are tagging people they know in the comment section of the link. Another way of spreading the word with people we know on Facebook, but might not get on and read every day. I've also noticed that it is showing up in online versions of print media (newspapers primarily) so I assume the articles are also getting printed in the actual newspapers as well. Since announcements like this often just show up in "outdoor sections" and those don't get printed in every edition, I expect more and more newspaper stories will appear in the next couple of weeks.

I would have liked to have commented on a primary and secondary county as we were able to do in the regular deer hunting survey. My primary hunting area has no shortage of deer. My secondary county has been so depleted that we did not see any deer in '11 or '12 and so we did not make the trip in '13. I wrote that in the comment section.

Overall though I liked how they set up the survey. The results will be interesting.

reo

N.E. Ohio
Done. I also utilized the comment section to express my displeasure with recent management strategies :smiley_depressive:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Did mine last night finally. Left a nice cordial but to the point comment at the end. The questions were still a little to vague IMO. Hope it helps!