Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ODNR Survey.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
They're trying to gather info on hunter density. If 80% of the hunters in a county hunt only a 1/4 of the county then management for that county as a whole should be altered. Some of the problem we've ran into with these very liberal doe limits is just that. Hunters may all but wipe out does in a 1/4 of the county, but across the county where it's more urban deer are thriving.

Yep. I was specific. And I chewed ass in the comments section. Good stuff...

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Do you think it would have been beneficial to have the option of adding the number of known hunters at a given location to cover those people that won't fill out the survey? Just an after thought...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Do you think it would have been beneficial to have the option of adding the number of known hunters at a given location to cover those people that won't fill out the survey? Just an after thought...

Exactly! I thought the same thing! The area I hunt is pounded hard in every direction for miles and if by chance I'm the only one to fill out this survey how accurate is that?!?

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
They're trying to gather info on hunter density. If 80% of the hunters in a county hunt only a 1/4 of the county then management for that county as a whole should be altered. Some of the problem we've ran into with these very liberal doe limits is just that. Hunters may all but wipe out does in a 1/4 of the county, but across the county where it's more urban deer are thriving.

I marked my kills but it still doesn't let them know about the other adjoining properties or the other hunters on the same properties that kill if its brown. Just bc I shot one 2 years ago and zero last year dictates nothing bc the other guys shot a combined total of 7 does on the same property. If they don't do the survey then it only looks like one doe in 4 years was killed there.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I marked my kills but it still doesn't let them know about the other adjoining properties or the other hunters on the same properties that kill if its brown. Just bc I shot one 2 years ago and zero last year dictates nothing bc the other guys shot a combined total of 7 does on the same property. If they don't do the survey then it only looks like one doe in 4 years was killed there.

Go ask them to do the survey. Get the word out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Filled out survey. Not the best survey I've seen.

Not standing up for the ODNR. I agree. It is not the best survey I have seen either. It is better than before and I actually received a survey to fill out. It is a step in the right direction.

I clicked too quickly and marked 2 antlerless last year. Skipped the info on the second. Added a comment to specify why I skipped it as "Survey did not allow me to go back to correct. One antlerless. One antlered." I also added my 2 cents in a tactful way. Let them know my son is not very eager to hunt due to lack of sightings. Explained my feelings of discouragement regarding new hunter recruitment, its impact on the future, the hunting industry, and revenue generated for the state diminishing as a result. I didn't landblast them. The points were made though. It wasn't a bashing, but it wasn't a positive response either. I also added info regarding my hunting properties. Told them there is one large property with surrounding neighbors also managing which I WILL shoot a doe on. The rest of my properties I am concerned with diminishing deer population and will NOT shoot a doe off any other properties. Doesn't mean the bozos hunting surrounding properties won't kill them all though.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Weren't we told last year that we should NOT share the survey link with other hunters who weren't selected because we would "spoil the sample set"?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Weren't we told last year that we should NOT share the survey link with other hunters who weren't selected because we would "spoil the sample set"?

Yes, but I think that was because they had a set number sent out and any others completed would screw up the numbers. I'm not sure what happens if you don't have an email registered with the DNR. Might just redirect you to their page to inter an email and then you would be allowed in future surveys? I would think if you don't have an email registered that your survey would be kicked out and not counted but I don't know for sure.

You go to the DNR wildlife page and there is a link there to read more it you can take the survey so looks like as long as you hunt Ohio and provide your ID number then you will be counted. Not sure what will happen if you leave the ID slot blank.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

This was also posted on their site. I just copied the email. This isn't the typical deer hunter survey that gets sent out each year, it's intended to capture hunter density and harvest to better help them manage areas that aren't the same.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I wonder what percentage of hunter will fill out this survey? Is there an alternative for old people? J/K, for people without technology.

Huckleberry Finn

My suggestion for improvement (which I included in the comments) would have been to mark the 5 other properties I hunt and didn't see a deer / shoot a doe.

Joe, we talking the laptop trailer to Holmes County this weekend to record the amish vote?

yotehunter

spencerville oh
If its truly a density survey wouldn't they want every deer hunter to know about it. Oh I forgot its our DNR I'm talking about. I guess its a step, I filled mine out and I'm letting every one I know to go online and take it. We will see what it becomes. All we can do is keep doing what we can as responsible hunters.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I filled it out a couple days ago but I'm not sure how helpful it will be for collecting useful data. It didn't ask how many hours or days I hunted... I killed 2 deer last year in the same spot. The year before that I killed nothing because I never had a chance. Seems like they would want to know where you hunted/how many hours without seeing a single deer also. I don't know.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Have you guys ever heard of a heat map. This is basically what they're trying to do. Map hunter density to the best of their ability. What areas have a higher hunter density than others. What they'll likely find is one area had a higher hunter density and has been decimated. But 10 miles away where permission is more difficult and nobody hunts, the population is good. They're trying to get an idea of that so they can better manage an area by something that matters like hunter density.

Here's an example of a heat map. This isn't for hunting but just an example. Let's say the very light green areas are never hunted, the light blue moderately hunted, and the dark green get clobbered. Good management would tell you each needs different management limits. But how would you ever know that if you didn't survey the hunters. They don need every hunter to fill one out. But the more the merrier. But after a point the law of averages will take care of the rest. Survey 20,000 people, or survey 200,000 people, odds are the averages will be very similar. Hell. Political polls for candidates usually only have 2-5k people. And they're usually very close to reality.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404869955.770919.jpg

Last edited: