Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Time for canning.

Jamie

Ohio
I think tomatoes only need to go 25-30 minutes at 240°(10lbs pressure). so, cooking them a lot longer could cause that, I guess. make sure you are getting any air pockets out of the jars with a small spatula or something, and putting the lids on really tight by hand. I always clean the rim of the jar immediately prior to putting the seals on them, too. likely the ones that aren't sealing have stuff from inside the jar interfering with the seal. I never lose any liquid like that when I do tomatoes, and I do pressure can all of my tomatoes.

Blan37

SW Ohio
I think tomatoes only need to go 25-30 minutes at 240°(10lbs pressure). so, cooking them a lot longer could cause that, I guess. make sure you are getting any air pockets out of the jars with a small spatula or something, and putting the lids on really tight by hand. I always clean the rim of the jar immediately prior to putting the seals on them, too. likely the ones that aren't sealing have stuff from inside the jar interfering with the seal. I never lose any liquid like that when I do tomatoes, and I do pressure can all of my tomatoes.

Hmm... I do all that except I only put the lids on 'finger tip tight' like they say in the book. I've had the lids completely pop off when I've really cranked them down, so maybe there's a happy medium I'm missing.

How long do you let your canner purge? I'm not really sure about that part too and wonder if I'm letting it vent too long. The things I've read say you're supposed to wait till the thing really gets hissing good, then let it go for like 10 minutes before you put the weight on the vent. That part always made me wonder if I've been letting it go too long and am cooking it too much.

Jamie

Ohio
once the canner is boiling good, I just watch to see how much steam is coming out of the vent. when it's as much steam as air coming out, I go 7-10 minutes and by then it is mostly steam shooting out the vent. I'd say with my 15 quart canner full of quart jars (7), it takes 10 or 15 minutes to get the water boiling hard, then another 10 minutes to purge air from the canner. I've never really timed it, but I'm sure it's 30 minutes or less from the time I put canner on heat until I put the weight on. I've never had a lid come off from tightening them down good by hand. have never lost liquid like you are, either. I have had some jars lose some liquid, but I always assumed that was because I left too much air in the jar, not enough headspace in jar, or both.

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
all finished. they look pretty good in the jars. anxious to eat some.

IMG_0614.JPG

Blan37

SW Ohio

I did like you said and everything turned out good. I had a little loss of liquid but nothing like last year. Nothing exploded either, so that's always good haha.

Thanks for the info.

Buckmaster

Portage
For my tomatoes I put the lids on as hard as I can. I water boil for 25 minutes within a rolling boil. Never any issues like that except for a broken jar or two over the years. Now that causes a real mess! I also leave the lids on in storage until use.

I recently bought a Presto pressure cooker at WalMart so I'll be messing around with that shortly. I mainly bought for a trial to see how this canned venison cans and tastes.
I've always been a water bath guy that steams up the kitchen.

Blan37

SW Ohio
For my tomatoes I put the lids on as hard as I can. I water boil for 25 minutes within a rolling boil. Never any issues like that except for a broken jar or two over the years. Now that causes a real mess! I also leave the lids on in storage until use.

I recently bought a Presto pressure cooker at WalMart so I'll be messing around with that shortly. I mainly bought for a trial to see how this canned venison cans and tastes.

I've been told to leave the rings off just in case any bacteria starts breeding under the seal. If that happens, the lids will come loose & you'll know not to eat it. I had one last year that did that.

Buckmaster

Portage
I've been packing away a gallon of stewed tomatoes from the garden each day for the past 4 days. I'm up to about almost 5 gallons thus far.

I'm just skinning then dicing into gallon freezer bags, then freezing.

Post gardening season....I will then be making my annual bulk salsa batch and canning for the year.

We tend to eat salsa with just about anything.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member

I use exact same method as you. Just did 16 quarts of tomatoes last night. Just looking at my garden, I will have that much ready in a few days again

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Stopped by tonight and checked ours. I should be able to make several quarts of pasta sauce. This will be my first attempt, but I'm looking forward to it.

Jamie

Ohio
my buddy sent me pictures of the unearthly patch of Chanterelle mushrooms he has in his woods. first time he's ever had them there in the 40+ years he's lived there. begs me to come and get some. how could I refuse? :cool:

I'll fry some of these up to eat today, maybe save enough for tomorrow, but most of these are going to the canner. put them up in 1/2 pint jars. will be heavenly addition to braised squirrel or venison, canned venison, squirrel pot pie, etc. these are just as enjoyable as Morels, imo, but they don't seem to get much attention.

View attachment 46248View attachment 46249

boy oh boy. my new summer mission is to find and can as many Chanterelle mushrooms as I can. I've made and eaten a goodly amount of canned venison shanks, and I'm here to tell you the addition of these mushrooms elevated my canned venison from really good, to out of this world. I need to add these to my squirrel casserole instead of crimini's. heavenly addition. sweet and earthy. better than Morels.

Jamie

Ohio
boy oh boy. my new summer mission is to find and can as many Chanterelle mushrooms as I can. I've made and eaten a goodly amount of canned venison shanks, and I'm here to tell you the addition of these mushrooms elevated my canned venison from really good, to out of this world. I need to add these to my squirrel casserole instead of crimini's. heavenly addition. sweet and earthy. better than Morels.

fungal gold that is.

finally got a chance to forage for chant's for the first time. took the dogs with us to keep the squirrels busy while we worked. :cool: we cut a grand total of 18lbs of mushrooms from the two big patches we found. some really primo shrooms. off to a pretty good start. I pan fried some last night and will do some more tonight. fry them in butter until mushrooms go tender, finish with some minced shallot, garlic, and a splash of white balsamic vinegar. salt and pepper to taste. magnificent.

first stop
7-29-17.jpg

about 15lbs worth
7-29-17 1.jpg

25 half pints
chant's 7-30-17.jpg

I was able to fit all 25 jars in my big canner, so only one load, which is nice. cooking now. I go after more in a couple days. these are my favorite mushroom and I'm gonna stock up as best I can. the nine half pints I managed last year disappeared fast. I don't intend to run out of these again, ever.

Jamie

Ohio
to me, they taste sweeter, more "fruity" for lack of a better term. I love Morels, but I prefer chanterelles, and I have found them to be much more useful for my cooking needs. give them a try if you can. they are a very abundant mushroom and not hard to find if they are growing in your woods.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Very nice jamie. Ill have to keep my eye out for them.

I made two gallons of Clausen refrigerator pickle clones tonight.

Cant find my other lid.

Jamie

Ohio
my hats off to anyone who can make good home made pickles. I've tried and tried, but I must be missing the gene that permits proper pickle making. not one time have mine ever measured up. I've done refrigerator, hot packed, dills, b&b, seasoning mixes, tried and true recipes from friends, different varieties of cucumbers. I know when I'm licked. Vlassic and Claussen win.