Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Time for canning.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
the first canner I got was an old Wards 19 (as in Montgomery Wards). Found it on Ebay. they don't make them like this anymore except for the All Americans. very heavy aluminum, metal on metal seal, no gasket. canned a ton of food in the 60 year old canner. about two years ago I bumbled across a 21qt All American advertised as a garage sale item on Craig's List. got it for $100. sumbitch wouldn't budge on the price. :( looked like it had never been used. it sure has now. no need to worry about warping either of the canners I have unless I drop them off a cliff. I'm thinking seriously about getting a 16qt All American and getting rid of the the old Wards. just don't need two big ones, especially since I can do same amount of quart jars in a smaller one. is darn nice to be able to stack pint jars in these bigger canners. Can't say enough about the heavy duty quality of the All American canner. is absolutely superb all the way around. will last 10 lifetimes if cared for properly.

That's how this presto canner is that was made in the 70s. Thick, heavy aluminum.

You'll have that with anything made today though. I pulled a couple corner posts for a chain link fence that was put up in the 70s, the new ones were 1/10th the old posts wall thickness.

Derek j

Knox Co.
I just did 13 quarts of green beans today, and will be putting up around 30-40 more when the next row comes on. Still have salsa and spaghetti sauce to can as well. I have one of the old all - Americans. The Sherman tank of canners is an understatement. I love it.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
20 quart of tomatoe juice lastnight

uploadfromtaptalk1408643173887.jpguploadfromtaptalk1408643199686.jpg

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I have been pretty busy myself in the kitchen. I did 2 canters of tomatoes, 18 pints of pepper mustard( which is awesome), and 16 pints of salsa. I use the open kettle method on all of my canning endeavors.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I did 9 quarts of tomatoes yesterday. I also started freezing Jalapenos, banana, and bell peppers. I need to get more jars and lids. I thought I was good but I can see that Im gonna have a shitload more tomatoes than jars. I have eggplant coming out the wazoo too. It's amazing on the grill or cooked just about anyway you can dream up. This is my first year growing it and I will definitely be doing it more in the future. After talking with Mike, I'm gonna get a 16qt Presto so I can start canning all my extra deer meat. I was just going to purchase it but the wife said something in front of her parents and now they are insisting on getting it for my birthday (Oct 12th). I didn't really want to wait til season started but whatever

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
More greenbeans.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409520753.225583.jpg

I also picked up 50 peppers to try out Ron's hot pepper mustard recipe.

And picked about 25 lbs of apples today for the holiday red spiced apples.

Totals

35 quarts beans
13 quarts of dill pickles.
7 quarts of bread and butter pickles
14 1/2 pints of strawberry jam.

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
We went to Millersport Sweet Corn Festival on Saturday. Lady pulls in and says "My truck is full of fresh Sweet Corn....Please take all you want" "I've already froze 2 truck loads" I had 5 feed sacks in my truck, so I brought 22 dozen home and froze 43 bags of bi-colored corn. Free is Good!

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
We went to Millersport Sweet Corn Festival on Saturday. Lady pulls in and says "My truck is full of fresh Sweet Corn....Please take all you want" "I've already froze 2 truck loads" I had 5 feed sacks in my truck, so I brought 22 dozen home and froze 43 bags of bi-colored corn. Free is Good!

Score!