Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Time for canning.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

13 half pints and 5 pints of holiday cinnamon candied apples.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410143115.189824.jpg

Buckmaster

Portage
I picked a few hundred Roma tomatoes from the garden and processed them into spaghetti sauce. I put up 9 quarts.
I also made 5 pints of Raspberry Jam.

Attachments

• Spaghetti Sauce.jpg
    Spaghetti Sauce.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Sauce & Jam.jpg
    Sauce & Jam.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 187

Buckmaster

Portage
Can you share your recipe (sauce)?

It was just 4 packs of Mrs. Wages prepackage tomato sauce mix. I have hundreds of Roma tomatoes so I needed something quick and easy to do with them.
It turned out pretty good. I should have some more for another batch by next weekend.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
It was just 4 packs of Mrs. Wages prepackage tomato sauce mix. I have hundreds of Roma tomatoes so I needed something quick and easy to do with them.
It turned out pretty good. I should have some more for another batch by next weekend.

Thanks. Nothing wrong with the packets. I really want to grow more tomatoes next year.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Makes 7 quarts of strawberry pie filling.

7 cups water
6 cups sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
3 packets sure jell.
7 quarts of strawberries.

Mix water, sugar, sure jell and bring to a boil. Add in lemon juice and stir for about a minute. Remove heat and fold in berries. Fill jars to 1 inch headspace and process in water bath for 30 min.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1467610623.145710.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
my buddy sent me pictures of the unearthly patch of Chanterelle mushrooms he has in his woods. first time he's ever had them there in the 40+ years he's lived there. begs me to come and get some. how could I refuse? :cool:

I'll fry some of these up to eat today, maybe save enough for tomorrow, but most of these are going to the canner. put them up in 1/2 pint jars. will be heavenly addition to braised squirrel or venison, canned venison, squirrel pot pie, etc. these are just as enjoyable as Morels, imo, but they don't seem to get much attention.

IMG_0610.JPGIMG_0611.JPG

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
my buddy sent me pictures of the unearthly patch of Chanterelle mushrooms he has in his woods. first time he's ever had them there in the 40+ years he's lived there. begs me to come and get some. how could I refuse? :cool:

I'll fry some of these up to eat today, maybe save enough for tomorrow, but most of these are going to the canner. put them up in 1/2 pint jars. will be heavenly addition to braised squirrel or venison, canned venison, squirrel pot pie, etc. these are just as enjoyable as Morels, imo, but they don't seem to get much attention.

View attachment 46248View attachment 46249

I never thought about canning shrooms. I have probably 50 lbs of Hens vacuum sealed in the freezer. What's your recipe/process?

Blan37

SW Ohio
You guys who pressure can tomatoes - question for you:

Do you have problems with the liquid boiling out of your jars? I leave the recommended amount of head space and cook time using what the book says, but it seems like my jars typically end up losing liquid (and sometimes the jars don't seal).

Early on I made the mistake of not letting the pressure go all the way to zero before I took the lid off. I stopped doing that, but like this one from last year I still end up with this as the result. The seal is still good, though. Do I need to back off on the time a little, or is this normal?

IMG_1082.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
clean them, sort them, making sure you don't have any posers. I picked three look-a-likes out this bunch while spreading them out to dry. these are fairly fragile, so it helps to boil or steam them just enough to make them pliable. steaming is better, really, as it does not affect the texture as much. save the water used for steaming or boiling to top off jars after they are filled. all those pictured, less the ones in the ziplok bag which I'll pan fry, amounted to nine 1/2 pint jars. takes lots of shrooms to can very many. my buddy put up 40 or so 1/2 pints.

fill jars, pack them as much as you can, add 1/4 tsp salt, fill with reserved water from steaming leaving 1/2" headspace, get out any trapped air bubbles, put on the seals and lids, pressure can for 40 minutes or so at 10-12lbs pressure.