Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Leasing/Questions

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
My main area I hunt is a 30 acre woodlot that butts up to the road. It is connected to a larger part that is maybe another 70 acres of woods. A couple others hunt the far end of the other section, but basically its just my buddy and I. The farmer who owns it hauled in wheat yesterday and we got to talking. He's a younger kid and asked me how many people actually hunt his section. I told him for bow hunting that its just me and my buddy. He told me he has turned away a few people because he didnt really want a lot of people back there. He actually told me to shoot anybody back there that shouldnt be:smile: I get the feeling he doesnt really care for anybody on there and would prefer me to keep people off. He joked around about paying him money to run the whole show there and he wouldnt give anyone else permission. Ive never leased nor ever really wanted to, but this is my best area and I would like to be able to be the one to run it before he lets someone else do it. So today Im gonna offer him $200 per year for exclusive rights. Im fairly sure he'll go for it. It wont be anything legal like. Basically cash and a man's word. I mainly would like to do it just because in a few years my son will be hunting and I would like a spot that I know he can go to without being screwed over. 1 thing I would like to do is post a few No Trespassing signs and make sure he understands that I would like to be able to take a friend back anytime I want. He's not a fan of the local gun hunting methods of pushing. But I do like to sit and hunt that area with a gun. I just hope Im not opening Pandora's box by being the first person in my area to pony up cash for hunting rights. Is there anything I should be asking this guy Im not thinking of? Like I said, It will be nothing in writing. Im just not sure if its a good idea to lease a section that is connected to other stuff that people can hunt

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had a similar thing with the neighbor behind my farm. They wouldn't let me hunt for 22 yrs. I asked in 2013 and they were a little stand offish until I brought them a signed permission slip just listing myself and my son's family members who live here on the farm with me.
I made it a point to enclose a "no guest" item on the permission slip. That turned the tide and got a OK.
Good luck in your contact.

I " Lease " 2 local farms
I down loaded a form off the internet for free
I pay both land owners $1 a year ( a nice Cristmass present also )
I had just gotten permission , but I found leasing has a few advanages
The current lease on the one farm was renewed this year for 5 more years

One thing this allows me is the sole right to hunt there
But it also allows me to have jerks arested for tresspassing

Your $200 is probely a good amount
I used the $1 , because neither wanted anything

Feel the land owner out
He might be open to a several year lease that would allow you to put in food plots
Or do some other work
And you would know , you will be hunting the land for X number of years
That for me makes doing a little work upgrading stuff worth it

John

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Talk more. See what it is he truly wants. Does he want money? Or does he simply want to keep the riff raff out? If he simply wants "a sheriff" as extra eyes and ears to enforce his rules, it might not cost you a dime.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Talk more. See what it is he truly wants. Does he want money? Or does he simply want to keep the riff raff out? If he simply wants "a sheriff" as extra eyes and ears to enforce his rules, it might not cost you a dime.

That's what I'm hoping, but Im just prepared to pay if I have to. As far as food plots: there are several selections of corn fields, and bean fields to choose from. There will be second crop beans and winter wheat also. One thing I really love about this place is there is a huge section about 200 yards away across the street, actually a complete country block (640 acres) with maybe 100 acres of woods and the rest treelines and ag fields, and it's all Sanctuary and extreme No trespassing. This is why we kill our biggest bucks in this area