Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shooting my recurve

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I like that Jamie. Now when I practice, I shoot one arrow, retrieve, repeat. I don't over shoot. My sessions are breif.

Jamie

Ohio
I seldom shoot more than two or three arrows at a time. usually one because my neck and shoulder are so jacked up. trying to pace myself. I may shoot that one arrow and fetch it 50 times in an evening, though. I work harder at making every shot count these days, more than I ever have because I know I cannot shoot much for the pleasure of doing so any longer if I want to keep shooting for another 20 years. I practice as much as I need to feel confident and stay smooth and sharp.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Awesome stuff Brian and Cole! :smiley_clap:

Very interesting way to practice Jamie. I bet the angst after a bad shot wears on ya clear thru till the next morning and there's some time taken in preparation before drawing back on the next shot! Lol

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good stuff Jamie,i was telling Cole to make the first shot count and that alot of times i just walk out back and shoot at 3,10 15 and 20 one time and go back inside.
I shot one round today and it was a good round so i stopped.
First shot at 3 yds was dead on.
That is a tough shot with a stickbow and compound but betcha most compound guys never think to even practice it.
Todays round.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice shooting, Brian! Great practice approach, Jamie... I like it!

I'm getting better with my recurve. I can't wait to get my new arrows and I can start practicing with some legitimacy.

On a side note, one would be amazed how easily and quickly a good Labrador can be trained to find arrows that miss the target. My dog Betty has bailed me out half a dozen times this past week! Only took a couple arrows to get her mind in the game... Now when I say "find the arrow" she sniffs them out and paws at the ground right where they're at!

Jamie

Ohio
have not been able to shoot my one arrow the last couple of days because it was too dark when I left. went to hang a couple of stands today and had this little guy come by while I was resting in the stand I had just finished hanging. high hopes for this stand. wasn't in it 2 minutes before I started seeing deer...

visitor.jpg

did my cold shot when I got home this afternoon. I was hiding in the bushes after I snuck up to within about 18 yards. I was able to be very quiet in my flip flops walking on the concrete walkway. she never knew I was there. :smiley_bril:

cold shot.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
nice shooting, Brian. looks like you're ready to rock.

first three today, first shots of the year off my deck. I also stand on top of a three foot ladder when shooting which gets me about 18 feet up. cold shot was at the long deer (about 20 yards), second shot at the short deer(about 12 yards), third shot at tennis ball(about 6 yards). I wish I could say the next three were as good. :smiley_depressive: only one that matters is the first one, though. :smiley_bril:

first three today.jpg

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I shot through a chronograph with both longbows today. They shot pretty much the same.
Here's the cliff notes.

Description: longbow 68"@55#
Notes 1:
Notes 2:
Distance to Chrono (FT): 3.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 1.000
Bullet Weight (gr): 615.000
Temp: 85 °F
BP: 29.86 inHG
Shots
# FPS FT-LBS PF
1 138 26.01 84.87