Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

bthompson's Trail Cam pics

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nice buck and fawn pics. I'd shoot a doe with no fawn before orphaning a fawn or two but that's just me. It prolly isn't fact but Id think the fawns have a better chance of surviving their first hunting season with their moms nose,eyes and ears close by.
I love venison TOO but in my area here in the SW there needs to be some does getting by this year so I'm passing on them again which make 3 years in a row....dang!

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Nice buck and fawn pics. I'd shoot a doe with no fawn before orphaning a fawn or two but that's just me. It prolly isn't fact but Id think the fawns have a better chance of surviving their first hunting season with their moms nose,eyes and ears close by.
I love venison TOO but in my area here in the SW there needs to be some does getting by this year so I'm passing on them again which make 3 years in a row....dang!

I was on the fence, leaning toward taking a non- breeder (if i get the opportunity)...i am still looking for my first deer bow harvest but i just don't want to shoot the first thing that comes into range...time will tell

Last edited:
If I were you I'd probably take the first adult deer, buck or doe, I had a good shot at. Watching the arrow hit its mark, following a good blood trail and walking up to your first archery deer will fuel your hunting fire like nothing else can.

I agree with Dick on this one. If you haven't killed one yet don't over think things and make the task even more difficult to accomplish. Unless a doe is real old and dry I would say a lone doe is just as likely to have fawns as a doe with twins. Could be last years fawn (doe) that never was bred, could be she had a fawn that was killed somehow, etc.. If your property warrants shooting a doe due to deer numbers then take the first quality shot that presents itself, buck or doe.

Also, I can understand how some don't like orphaning a fawn but keep in mind by fall the fawns only rely on the doe for companionship by that time. At least down there in Ohio winters are not terrible and they can survive on their own. When winter does come they will find other deer to pair up with and do just fine.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I can be patient and execute whatever plan I devise before season gets here...ahhh, who the hell am I kidding, I'll prbly drop my bow when that first deer comes in range i'll be so excited!

Last edited:

rsmith

I can be patient and execute whatever plan I devise before season gets here...ahhh, who the hell am I kidding, I'll prbly drop my bow when that first deer comes in range i'll be so excited!

Just make sure you keep relaxed and just act like you're shooting your bag, just focus on aiming and after the shot make sure you follow through and not drop the bow away and look to see where you hit. And I know the feeling of wanting to hold out for something big/bigger and mature but when anything comes in range and your emotions and adrenaline is flowing it's hard to keep level headed, either way you got some good pics and good luck keep the updates coming!!

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I have a wrist sling, so the bow ain't goin' anywhere...been grouping really well at 20 & 30yds too...soon I will work on 40yds. Things are getting automatic, that is why I want to focus on some sort of harvest plan (again, if the opportunities present themselves)

The only worry I have about this area, there is always at least one roadkill deer in this area where they travel from my woods to the woodlot across the 2lane highway.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Fawns that are orphaned in the fall like that just join up with other local deer. Chances are that his/her aunt/big sister/grandma is still running around with cousins/siblings and such, so it makes it pretty easy for them to survive without momma.

Dick is right; the rush of seeing an arrow punch through the 10-ring is unlike anything else I have ever done in the outdoors. A mature doe is just as much a trophy as a mature buck is most cases IMO. Especially if you two have had previous encounters that she remembers. Makes for a tough match sometimes and a thrilling, rewarding harvest.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I think that is the way it will prbly happen guys, if it happens at all...If it is a doe, I am for sure taking the shot if a good opportunity presents itself, I know I won't shoot a buck unless it is bigger than the 8 point I have for my rattling antlers. ( i have no idea what he scores)

Saturday Aug. 2nd, I finally hung my stand in the tree that I know is where I need to be...it just sucks that I have to move it up about 3 more feet to get above where the trunk branches off...this will actually give me 360 degrees of shooting range when standing with bow in hand.

I changed the cards and replaced batteries (although not completely necessary) and was a little dissappointed in this pull...not a lot of pics of deer like I have been getting to this point...2 changes were made, I haven't had a feed block out since early July and I moved both cameras, one cam to a mock scrape I made a couple of weeks ago (early I know, and I don't use any scents on them)...had a 4pt check it out and a doe. Hope to see more action in these communication areas on the next pull at the end of august.

I have 2 more feed blocks to put out which I will do when my climbing sticks get here so that I can raise my stand and then I'm out of there till at least the end of august.
I will likely move one camera to the easement on the north side of the property and see when the deer are using my entrance plan to my stand.

There is also an option that I might be able to hunt from the ground before the leaves fall...there is a large cottonwood on the property that has a ton of brush around it as well as low hanging limbs...I believe it is where deer come from the south cornfield and bed down on the property I hunt or just pass through.

after these last 2 trips to the property i will be done until opening day...I need patience!

Last edited:

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Finally got it uploaded, here she is at the scrape I made

photo2.jpg

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
reading everyone else's cam pulls is making me wish I had more property to run cams on, so I could alternate card pulls and get my fix...trying to hold out on my next pull till the end of august..not sure if that will be saturday or sunday

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have two cams on one of three properties. I don't have the time to run more than that!