Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

bthompson's Trail Cam pics

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
This will be my first year running cameras so any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated...Feeling like I'm off to a good start although I was anxious to check the cards after only a few days of soaking...I deployed 3 cams on the 22nd and have changed cards 2x already...glad I did though, as one of my cams I found flipped upside down...I didn't tighten the wing nut enough on the eye screw and eye bolt assembly I made (thanks Xbowguy for the thread on those).

Nothing fancy here, just excited about getting pics of deer (especially on this property).

image.jpgimage.jpg

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Yea I really enjoy looking at my trail cam pics.. Seems like you have a nice set up. Can go wrong of you have cams on heavy traveled trails and over food.

Looking good so far!! Once I like a set-up an am happy with how the pictures are turning out I try not to re-visit them for at least a couple weeks. Just me but I feel if you check them too often you may be running off the one's you really want to have pics of. All trial and error though!!

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
The simmons cam, I had facing a tractor supply feed block, which I mistakenly placed just off a beaten trail, only got a pic of a deer's rear end as they trotted right past the cam...So, I rotated the cam to get them as they travel the crossroads coming to the feed block and VOILA! I have more pics of deer and better quality TOO!

I need to move my DPS cam to an inside corner that I have, field was planted with corn this year and the corner is a burnout spot that doesn't grow.

On the wildgame cam over the mineral site, I cut down the branch that is in the way when I changed the card last weekend, so hoping to have better pics on next card change.

I will either get another cam to place further back on the property or move my Simmons cam back there to see if the deer are getting back in there...This would be a location I would hang a stand in for an easy and quiet in and out without disruppting any deer movement (unless they are bedding back there TOO)...if it IS bedding, then I will keep tabs on it for a rut hunt.

Sorry for all the rambling to anyone who might read this, just getting all my thoughts out so I dont' forget anything (trying to maximize quality of setup with minimal time in the woods)

Thanks for the suggestions already guys...I think I might make some of these changes this weekend or next and then stay out till the first weekend in august...I didn't have a single pic of a deer last year when this place became available to me, (tresspasser city last year), you're absolutely right Big_Holla, I don't want anything being spooked away and finding a different home.

Keep 'em coming guys, I really appreciate all the great help.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Looking great man! You're gonna get obsessed just like the rest of us! Lol looking forward to more updates....have fun and good luck!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
My only advice is to put your TC in less invasive locations. Trying not to disturb them as much as possible. Fence rows between AG fields and timber are awesome places. A quick in and out is usually what I look for if I can't leave them alone . Lol

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Thanks guys, I'm really liking the use of Xbowguys rig for hanging cams...very easy to use and change out cards, I can even change direction (since I'm new to this) of the camera and get more pics of deer. My first few pics only caught the ass end of the deer because the cam was aimed perpendicular to a know trail, now it is in the same tree and position just swung it to one side to capture more of the trail and voila! more pics of deer.

Really happy I removed the branch that was blocking most of the pictures

IMG_3060.jpg

Last edited:

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
First fawns on cam for me this year...Twins!! But momma kinda looks like a goat...droopy ears maybe? Hoping to get some more pics of these 3...

IMG_3016.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very nice. If you ever get pics with nothing in them it could be the other limbs in your pics tripping off the trigger. I'd remove them as well to prevent having a thousand pics on windy days.

Love seeing the fawn pics! I haven't got any yet this summer. Keep it up you're doing great!

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Great tip, i was teying to keep the camera somewhat concealed but also get some decent pics...when i had corn on top of the mineral site i got a lot of pics with birds in it, so now that the corn is gone i will keep an eye on that...thanks

sure as shit....my 4GB card filled up in 3 days cuz of those stupid branches, and not a single pic of a deer...they are gone now

Last edited:

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
pulled the cards the weekend before last...not the greatest pic but it was the only pic of a buck I got in the first part of july...any guess on age? I'm not very good at it but I'm thinking maybe 3, soon to be 3.5?

IMG_3381.jpg

The twins look like they are doing good, which is great to see considering I've seen 3 coyote road kills in this area between february and april. Hoping mom looks a little better on my next card pull...she could use a double cheeseburger for sure!

IMG_3328.jpg

Last edited:

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Thanks guys, there are a couple of other bigger does I have pics of too, that don't have fawns with them...I'm thinking one of them might get an arrow early season, but I also think about taking this mom out and keeping the fawns in the area too.

What criteria do you use to help you make that decision?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd say that buck is 3.5, very nice looking deer!

Like the others have said, my biggest piece of advice is to hang cams in areas with easy access and don't check them TOO often. I always try to go before or during a rain. Its easy to get over zealous and start boogering up deer.