Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ricers 2014 TC pics

Ricer2231

I don't have any more pics just yet but I do have a question. With my regiment of putting mineral out every three months, due again the first of September, do you all continue to put it out through bow season and on through the winter? This mineral site stuff is new to me and I am wondering if I should keep up the regiment. I know some of you have said that you try to stay outta the woods, with the exception of hunting, come September. Also do you keep your cameras out and keep switching your sd cards? I just want as little "pressure" in my hunting areas as possible and don't wanna spook the deer outta there. Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I don't keep minerals out over the winter. As far as cameras go, I leave them out all season. During season I'll move them closer to my stand so I can switch cards before I hunt and not have to go out of my way. If there's a scrape close by your stand, I'd put a camera over that. I plan on checking cards again at the end of august, then I'll stay out until season. I can still scout my honey hole from the in laws driveway.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You can put more mineral out still Don I usually throw a trophy rock out as the does and fawns still seem to hit them more than the bucks after August but that's not a bad thing. I usually make a mock scrape or two close to my stand sites and keep a camera on them through season and just pull the card on my way in or out from hunting there.

I keep a Trophy Rock and Tractor Supply block in place all year. I never let my mineral site run dry. I run two cameras till the day before gun season. I then pull my cameras till about April. The cameras I run from Sept 1 to the day before gun season are cameras that I can pull cards from heading to my stand.

Ricer2231

I got back out there yesterday to pull the card on my #2 farm yesterday. I won't be putting anymore ground mineral out so I packed a 20# trophy rock in and put on the edge of the "wallered" out hole. I got drainage ditches cut in the hole but thought it would still be a good idea to put it on the edge. Anyway, no big boys on cam but a couple smaller bucks that Gunner would be tickled with.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409355616.756719.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409355627.189465.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409355642.190570.jpg

Today I got back to my primary farm and did the same switched out the card, put out a trophy rock, and installed fresh batteries. That sucks hauling in a 20# Rock in a back pack when it's 90*. Half a mile back in there. Anyway, the 10 with the sticker on his left g2 is looking good and will definitely get one flung at him if the opportunity presents. Also had a decent little eight.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409356158.467574.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409356175.803937.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409356190.188247.jpg
Ten with the kicker.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409356221.574418.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409356232.608578.jpg
I really think these two bucks are from the same poppa or maybe the 10 is the poppa of the 8, what ya think? Would y'all say the same? The racks sure are similar.

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
First guess is Don likes mineral licks? Very good pics Don! I put it out about every 2-3 months depending on the amount of rain. I figure it can't hurt any.