Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Door rust

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Need advice on how to fix and or stop rust on the doors of my 2003 Jeep Liberty. It's my junker car but I'd like to stop the progression. It's not on the outside of the doors at this point. uploadfromtaptalk1404146273700.jpguploadfromtaptalk1404146282775.jpguploadfromtaptalk1404146292418.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Not a body guy but wire wheel it and paint it with a product called 415 or por14 that will cover and stop it from spreading.... Be carefully with he wire wheel because some of hat looks like it'll be very thin if anything is left at all.... Filler will work on it though..... Or you can just get some different doors from a salvage yard..... I'd call for prices myself of look online.....

damn Adam beat me too it hahaha......

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Try Tractor Supply. Used to be able to get it there. If not, maybe an auto paint supplier.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Guys this stuff is the shit! I have personally used it on 2 trailer frames, 3 tractors, and 1 truck. The shop at the in-laws will always have a can ready. You can find it locally, just going to have to look for it.

Mike, you're driving to Woodbury, somewhere along the way is a seller lol!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Not a body guy but wire wheel it and paint it with a product called 415 or por14 that will cover and stop it from spreading.... Be carefully with he wire wheel because some of hat looks like it'll be very thin if anything is left at all.... Filler will work on it though..... Or you can just get some different doors from a salvage yard..... I'd call for prices myself of look online.....

damn Adam beat me too it hahaha......

What the hell J, you're even half a day ahead.....half way around the world in all lol. Like you're in the future man (that'll blow your mind) :smiley_carnaval:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Rust is a non stopper. Maybe the new products do work wonders.
My best friend had a body show for 25 yrs. before he passed away.

He always gave a 5-50 warranty on rust repairs.

5 minutes or 50 feet and which ever came first. He wouldn't repair fire damage either.

Good luck with the new products.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
What the hell J, you're even half a day ahead.....half way around the world in all lol. Like you're in the future man (that'll blow your mind) :smiley_carnaval:

Adam, my mind is blown everytime I walk into work.......... rotflmao

Warning on the POR-15..... Where surgical gloves and long sleeves when you brush it on and tape the area off that you don't want too get the stuff on.... If you get it on your skin it's there until it wears off..... And if you're brushing a lot of spots use one of those sponge type brushes vs the bristles...... Don't ask me how I know!!!!! :tantrum:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I forgot my neighbor works for LQK which sells after market parts and paint systems to body shops. I had him get me the started kit which will be enough to do all the doors.uploadfromtaptalk1404424628505.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Started to clean up and paint the frame of one of the dump trucks today. Reminded me of this thread. I had suggested POR-15. We bought a gallon. $160. Ouch. What I found is it goes a long way. It applies nicely. Is pretty thin when applied but seems to keep going and going on the rough/porous/rusty frame. Very surprising. Would have been overkill for your doors. For someone with a larger project though, I would recommend it. Long term results yet to be determined.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I used the system on my doors. The kit came with the degreaser and metal prep. The doors look amazing.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Whatever you do keep the rim of the can clean. If you get it on the rim and put the lid back on it wil be a bitch to get it off again. Like posted above it will not come off skin until it wears off. Guy at work got some on his pants and it bled through and he says he has a black birth mark on his leg lol.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I would get the rust off there that is there the best you can and try and get the inside of the door done in that hole. that rust is from the inside out I bet.

Buckmaster

Portage
Here's another use for POR15, protecting your mower decks. This one has 3 coats of POR15 primer and one coat of gloss topcoat.
I hope to get some longevity out of this mower. Actually, I've been doing this to all my mowers lately when bringing them in for winter storage.

Attachments

• POR15.jpg
    POR15.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 178