Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bad news from my hunting property...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I read most of the posts above but didn't see anything brought up about this question...

I was always lead to believe that "all kill permit kills" were collected by our ODNR officers and destroyed or given to a food bank. Any bucks killed the antlers were also seized.
Nowhere does/did it say that kill permits were for harvesting for meat.

IMO, farmers who do NOT allow hunting but say they need KP's need to STFU!!! There are many respectful and skilled hunters willing to help them out with there dilemma! It's also my observation that some use KP for nothing more than legalized poaching. It's funny that its illegal for hunters to hunt with high powered rifles but its legal for them to use them for kill permits! How fugging stupid is that!!!!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I read most of the posts above but didn't see anything brought up about this question...

I was always lead to believe that "all kill permit kills" were collected by our ODNR officers and destroyed or given to a food bank. Any bucks killed the antlers were also seized.
Nowhere does/did it say that kill permits were for harvesting for meat.

IMO, farmers who do NOT allow hunting but say they need KP's need to STFU!!! There are many respectful and skilled hunters willing to help them out with there dilemma! It's also my observation that some use KP for nothing more than legalized poaching. It's funny that its illegal for hunters to hunt with high powered rifles but its legal for them to use them for kill permits! How fugging stupid is that!!!!

X2!

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Yea I agree it's just a form of legalized poaching. I don't know all the rules of the permits but he said he is using the does for meat and isn't suppose to shot bucks. If a buck is "accidentally" shot then the warden has to come out and inspect it. I'm most angry about that I have a 55gall drum feeder and to mineral site on the property. So I'm drawing deer in and feeding them with food and minerals and then he's hunting in off season. And ODNR should have seen feeder/mineral site and yet still approved the kill permits. Frustrating to say the least

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Correct. Minerals, food plots, or feeders generally gets a NO GO for kill permits. My buddy requested some for his farm and the WO asked if he had any plots or baiting taking place. The WO did walk the property as well. I don't know the actual law on it but those questions were asked by the WO.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would say every WO is different. No comment on our local one as I don't want him breathing down my neck. LOL

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Anyone think it would be possible if I called ODNR and said that the property with nuisance permits has mineral sites and a feeder on it. Then they could possibles re-inspect it and revoke the permits? Just as along shot? If I can stay anonymous

Its def worth a try, the whole idea of farmers that won't give permission to hunt and then cry to the DNR for kill permits is a load of shit! That should be the first question the DNR asks when they apply. It's nothing more than an attempt to decimate the population due to pressure from lobbyist and insurance company's.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Anyone think it would be possible if I called ODNR and said that the property with nuisance permits has mineral sites and a feeder on it. Then they could possibles re-inspect it and revoke the permits? Just as along shot? If I can stay anonymous

You would be assuming they actually inspected it to start with. From my experience, if a WO shows up, they usually walk the edges of some woods and ag fields and stare at Coon and Groundhog damage before coming to the conclusion that deer are to blame. Why the hell they don't open Coon up for year round extermination is beyond me

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio

Very risky thing to do if you ask me. NOTHING is anonymous and most likely the landowner will ask the WO who called and the WO will most likely tell him who made the complaint. At least I know our fine local police officers do that when asked who called in the complaint. Pretty risky and a good way to piss off the landowner real quick. Even if he doesn't find out who asked for the inspection of the property for such things he might still be able to connect the dots and close down hunting all together.

The thing you guys forget is the fact that it is the landowners property and he can and will do with it what he wants and there isn't anything we can do about it. Either play the game or move on to another property. Keep making waves and it will screw you and everybody that follows you.

I don't agree with the kill permits unless it is fully investigated and it is found to truly be deer causing the issue. If it is found to be coon then give the landowner the nuisance permits for the coon and not the deer. Pretty simple but not what the big insurance and farm bureau is looking at as the scape goat.

Did you know a coon can eat about 5lbs of food a night while a deer only eats about 7lbs of food a day. I don't know about you but I see way more coon around my area then deer.

Completely agree with RedCloud on this one. As I have followed this since the beginning I think the thing you have forgotten is it is his land and he chooses everything from crop damage permits to who hunts it. He is obviously thinking he is losing money due to deer damage so the only thing that will make him happy is dead deer and/or money in his pocket.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
He is not actually farming his land he leases it out lol. So he's paid up front per acre so he's not losing any money from crop damage. He just owns it. I completely understand it's his land to do with what he wants. Damage to crops minimal and he just wants to be able to use a rifle for convenience. Just frustrating. And I am very weary about calling and complaining to the warden. Don't want it to bite me in the long run. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm hoping he is lazy and forgets to use the tags before season. I believe nuisance tags can't be used in hunting season.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
He is not actually farming his land he leases it out lol. So he's paid up front per acre so he's not losing any money from crop damage. He just owns it. I completely understand it's his land to do with what he wants. Damage to crops minimal and he just wants to be able to use a rifle for convenience. Just frustrating. And I am very weary about calling and complaining to the warden. Don't want it to bite me in the long run. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm hoping he is lazy and forgets to use the tags before season. I believe nuisance tags can't be used in hunting season.

They can only be used out of season now from what I understand. Before 2007 there was 2 types of kill permits (one could be used during season and the other could be used out of season.) Any bucks killed have to be called in and antlers turned over to the WO. The person getting the kill permits are encouraged to kill does only but if you kill a buck you kill a buck but like I said you are suppose to turn the antlers over to the DOW. I'm sure some of the guys getting these permits don't follow the rules and just shoot whatever and won't blink twice at gut punching deer to die someplace else so they don't have to bother tagging them too. If stopped by the WO they have tags in hand to cover their asses and they go on about their business of gut punchin.

I think the kill permits should be handed out but also think there should be a rep of the DOW that is appointed to ride along with the person with the tags. Schedule the hunt times and dates with the DOW and send somebody along. That would cut down some of the BS of intentional gut punching and might also stop the person from being able to obtain tags in the future if the rep doesn't see the numbers of deer or damage caused by deer. If the rep sees it is from another critter then he could stop the current kill permit and change it to coon or whatever other critter is doing the damage.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I think that any farmer that has crop damage permits, should allow hunting to law abiding hunters. Keep it so many hunters per so many acres. Just my 2 cents! Lol