Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What new cam are you going with this year?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Haven't researched yet but a buddy said Cuddeback has a new one coming out. Small as the Bushnell Trophy Cams, better specs, and cheaper. Need to investigate. Never owned one of them before. Honestly not real eager to buy anymore. I have cameras I didn't put out last year. Mostly just inventory cams over minerals. Seems if I hang them over trails the deer begin to skirt the area. I tried hanging from the tree and pointing down last year. Got some cool pics but got a lot of false triggers as well. I think I had the angle wrong.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
just ran my primos cams in the yard for s couple days and im pretty impressed to say the least.seems decent for the money...long triggers and decent pics

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have 3 of the cheaper $100 WG cams I bought at Wallyworld. They seem to go through the 4 D batteries faster than I'd like but take decent pics I guess. The other two negatives are they take blurry pics if the animal moves much when pic is taken and I get white out pics when the camera can't determine if its dark enough to use IR or not. When most of the deer are moving at dusk and dawn I get a lot of whiteout pics which is very frustrating, but hey, they're only $100 cameras TOO. They do take good videos though.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I started using trailcampro.com last year to buy my cameras. They don't usually have the best prices but their reviews and customer service are second to none. They sell all the major brands and they usually include a free SD card. I bought the baseline Browning cam last year and loved it. For $150 I got the camera, a python lock to secure it to the tree, 8 lithium batteries and an 8 MB card. This was the setup I put out on public land in Ohio and it worked great. If somebody was going to steal it they were going to have to cut down the tree. Plus the pictures were great. I'm going to get another Browning from them this year and maybe two.

The Python cable locks seem like a great idea but keep in mind many have had them cut with simple end cutters or a hack saw. I couldn't get one of my locks to open one day as it must have gummed up inside so I took a hack saw to it since it was just out on the end of the cable. Only took me a few strokes of the saw and she was through. I still use them but understand now it's better to hang them high and/or conceal them better.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm following this post as I've had nothing but bad luck with cams in the past. The 1st ones I got where closeouts from SD. I came to the decision if it's on a closeout don't bother.
The Spypoint I got 2 yrs. ago has been a disappointment and no more of Spypoint.

I got a cheap Plot time lapse camera but have learned the basics of it yet. It maybe just too cheap to do what I need.

I'm leaning towards a internet access camera but it will have to have a security code so if stolen it can't be used by the thief.

Like I said I'm still reading this thread.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I just check out Dist. and they carry several brands of trail cams. Couple of the names I've never heard of before. Now the research really starts. Not all models in stock of course.
DLC Trading-wireless
Browning
Bushnell
GSM Core
Leupold
Moultrie
Non-Typical- also Cuddeback listed as Non-Typical as the Mfg.
Primos
WGI/B.A. Products-Crush model

Anyone heard of or have experience with couple of these brands?

As I said not every model in stock. Maybe I can do some group buys for TOO members. But what kills this idea is the shipping from me to you and some of the special the box store run as a door breaker. We do a local pickup so at least I don't have to have shipping to me.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm wanting to purchase one cam this year, in black flash, with hd video and a one second delay. Been looking hard at the Bushnell Trophy Cams, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Dad's got a couple Moultrie cameras, and they do well, so I've been looking at them as well. Can't make up my mind.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I tried hanging from the tree and pointing down last year. Got some cool pics but got a lot of false triggers as well. I think I had the angle wrong.

Understand I'm new at using trail cams. But I found birds, tree rats, and slow camera trigger speeds cause a lot of false no pictures. IMHO
I'm trying the high tree mounting this year also.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
If you get two years out of a cam you are extremely fortunate anymore. Only cam I know is a tank is a buckeye cam. The reconyx maybe a tank too but I have no experience with them.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I've had a lot of success with the Bushnell T.C.'s in the past but most use Covert now. Haven't had any issues yet, love the cell phone camera I have and the Red 40 takes great pics. My red camera was under about 15' of water when the river came up this past winter and she's still working like a champ and drying it out.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I recieved my new Moultrie M880C today. I got home from work @ 1130 & couldn't wait to play with it. This is the " white flash " cam that will take color pics and videos day AND night. I didn't mess with videos last season, unlike previous years, so I thought night time color videos would be super cool. I've been dealing with IR flash for I don't know how many years now, so this is something totaly new to me.... or so I thought. White flash is exactly that.... a blinding white flash. It'll certainly light up the woods at night . I plan on leaving the video length at 10 seconds. There isn't much variable to length wise, other than 10, 15 & 20 or whatever seconds. Not that there's a number of other hunters or whoever that will be nearby, but this will be a bright becon shouting... come & get me, come & get me. It'll go into the woods tomorrow.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I've had good luck with the bushnells. I like the HD the best. worth the extra money. I've sent 2 back so far and they were both replaced free of charge. one of the was over 2 years old. I have 6 of them, The newest being a 2012 model. The field scan is a nice feature if using on a food plot. Video with sound is cool. Battery life is great. Biggest problem I have with the is the rubber plug on the bottom for the aux. battery plug falls off and bugs can get in the camera. I silaconed them all shut this year. They also have a adjustable sensor so you can adjust them for movement witch is good to have if there is a lot of trees or weeds moving in the background when its windy. I set them to high if there's nothing in the background. Out of the many I've bought only one had to be sent back cause it kept taking pics of nothing no matter what I did. Turn around was quick. I'll buy more when the one's I have quit working.

I have been using stealth cam and moultrie for several years both have been great. My son Jarrod surprised me this morning with a new wildgame innovations w6ef for Father's Day. We put it out today, we will see how it dose.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'm following this post as I've had nothing but bad luck with cams in the past. The 1st ones I got where closeouts from SD. I came to the decision if it's on a closeout don't bother.
The Spypoint I got 2 yrs. ago has been a disappointment and no more of Spypoint.

I got a cheap Plot time lapse camera but have learned the basics of it yet. It maybe just too cheap to do what I need.

I'm leaning towards a internet access camera but it will have to have a security code so if stolen it can't be used by the thief.

Like I said I'm still reading this thread.

The Moultrie M880 I just bought has a 5 digit security code. They take great pic's on the 4Mp mode. I put 2 out today so will let you know more in about a week. Tests in the house had some real nice pic's.