Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Food plot screen

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
That IS good stuff...this sounds like a great idea for the property I hunt that gets too much traffic from those that might not always do the right thing...thanks guys.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Pretty sure it only takes 60 days to mature. I will keep some updated pics of mine as it grows on the forum. This rain should help a lot! My beans are already sprouting also! I've got beans, clover, and plot screen that are loving this rain right now. The fall plots will go in later this year.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I'm considering this in places on our farm next spring when I actually have time to plant. It would really do me some good.

Best part is it takes little prep work to make this stuff grow. You don't have to lime or fertilize it so its cheap. Your essentially growing weeds! The pH doesn't even have to decent for this stuff to grow. We just tilled an outline, threw the seed down and ran a drag over it, should grow well. Walked out back with the pup a few mins ago and realized the farmer put beans EVERYWHERE!!!! In my plot screen trail, my clover plot, and my brassica plot. Going to get interesting to see how far the beans get before the plot screen over takes it. The clover may be doomed unless I go in and re-till it and replant, which sucks!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The clover might be OK. I planted clover in 2013 and thought I had no crop and was going to disk it under and redo. Well this year I have a good clover crop. I topdressed this spring with clover seed.
I also planted beans and didn't know there was even clover in the mix until this week when I found out the clover is thick and 12" high already. I will top-dress this fall and a frost seeding next spring.
So what I'm saying is it appears clover is a next year crop or so it turns out for me anyway.
Being me since everything is planted I would wait and do a fall top-dressing of clover right before a heavy rain. And another frost top-dressing of clover early next spring. That should give you a good clover crop in 2015.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Yea that would be a lot less work MK, I'm just going to wait it out and see what happens. If all else I'll have beans in my kill plot rather than clover this year.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The Frigid Forage plot screen blend looks pretty good. Not sure what it costs, but a generic bag or two of Sudangrass will accomplish the same thing. Their website says it's got various sorghums... I'm betting sudangrass is a sizeable portion of their blend.