Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New plot - Phase 1

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Thanks Zack, sounds like a great plan. I'd go ahead and hinge cut your neighbors treestand location anyway if it were me. Have you considered erecting a couple scrape trees like Mark Drury did a year or so ago? You could at least capture some great video encounters and inventory the local buck population.

Have you also considered erecting a tower stand somewhere in the middle of your plots, also like MAD has done in the past. I imagine when the crops in the immediate area get harvested the deer will gravitate to your smorgasbord.

Thanks for the details and good luck!

1. I already have a couple trees out there that I mow circles around with the zero turn that they tear up. They are in the SW corn in the CRP on my property and the NW corner in the crp of my property.

2. Not really I don't intend to hunt my property a whole lot, most of the deer come from the west along the creek bottom so more than likely I will be setup off my property along the crp fields or fencerows. I have pondered the idea though for bad winds but more than likely I will choose not to bc it would be a PAIN to get out of there without blowing every deer away and educating them

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I'm lost on the whole neighbor tree stand issue. Was yours there first and he decided to set up on your back? Cause it looks like both of you are on the line.

The only reason they put that stand up last year was bc I put a late season food source in and they wanted to sit as close as possible to it without crossing over in hopes of killing a buck. The DNR comment was bc he was sitting back there during shotgun season with NO orange on. (also had 5 shells in his gun when he got checked).
My yellow down on the north is a blind facing only my field, no chance of shooting into their field.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The only reason they put that stand up last year was bc I put a late season food source in and they wanted to sit as close as possible to it without crossing over in hopes of killing a buck. The DNR comment was bc he was sitting back there during shotgun season with NO orange on. (also had 5 shells in his gun when he got checked).
My yellow down on the north is a blind facing only my field, no chance of shooting into their field.

I see, and I agree that's bullshit.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Looking good
IMHO I think clover is next years crop. Anyway that's how it worked out for me on my 2 clover food plots. I almost disked it under under but it came along this year and is knee high.
The other plot I really didn't know there was clover in the planting and this year it's also knee high.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Looks great, can't wait to see how that plot screen comes along!

I'm also waiting for a look at the plot screen.
I'll be frost seeding all 3 of my clover plots early next spring. I did a frost seeding on my 2013 in April and the new clover is doing well. It was way to late for a frost seeding but I really thought I was going to disk it under. Then the 2013 clover just took off.
From all the research I've done on clover it seems clover puts down roots the 1st year then grows hardy plants after that. That's just what my 2 clover plots did. Learn by doing.

Man it's all looking GREAT!! Now are the beans just for the deer or are they going to be harvested this fall? I agree on the clover. Our two plots have really taken off and seem to be used quite a bit. I think the key for us was to frost seed back in March. Really filled in any bare spots and now they seem to be choking off the weeks perfectly.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
The beans will be strictly for the deer, left up until next year to provide a winter food source. Hopefully once I get the clover sprayed it will look a little better. I'll prob mow it then wait 48 hrs to spray.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The beans will be strictly for the deer, left up until next year to provide a winter food source. Hopefully once I get the clover sprayed it will look a little better. I'll prob mow it then wait 48 hrs to spray.

What do you spray your clover with?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
zach that looks great! I see you used a planter for your beans, do you own one, rent one? Im thinking about this for next year!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
zach that looks great! I see you used a planter for your beans, do you own one, rent one? Im thinking about this for next year!

Honestly the cheapest way to do it to pay a local farmer. No maintenance on equipment, no rental fee or fuel cost, and your buying at their cost vs. the cost of a few hundred pounds for your small lot. The farmer that farms both sides of my property agreed to plant beans at his cost or I could work it off. So technically I get everything done for free except price per acre ($90).

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Well hell I have the tractor and all already! Haha! Plus my plots a farmer wouldn't want to do. They are not flat and nice like yours. Noble county problems! Still everything looks great man!