Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Strouds - Fall 2014 TOO Outing - October 10-12

What weekend for Strouds?

• October 4-5

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • October 11-12

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • October 18-19

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Doesn't Matter to Me

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I picked a couple of dates so that we could reserve the campground (assuming it is still available). Let me know what you guys think.

October 4-5 is the second weekend of bow season and offers pre-orange army bow hunting.

WINNER: Antlerless Deer Muzzleloader Season October 10-12 (Fri-Sun)

October 18-19 offers bow hunting and possibly cooler weather.

---------------------------------

Let this serve as the official thread for the fall gathering at Strouds Run to "celebrate" the second annual statewide antlerless muzzleloader season this October 11th and 12th. To read more about the new season and all Ohio deer hunting regulations, click HERE. For more information on Strounds Run State Park, click HERE.

The Ohio Outdoors Fall Gathering October 10-12

Strouds Run State Park
11661 State Park Road
Athens, Ohio 45701
Click here for Park Map

Goggle Maps Coordinates: N 39° 21' 17.07", W 82° 2' 17.43"

The group camp is reserved for these dates by this merry band of do-gooders! There are also several primitive camp sites, 10 camper sites, and a few cabins for rent, a few of which have been reserved by fellow TOOzers. For more information on reserving a camp site, please call: (740) 594-2628.

And as always:
Each party - i.e. all attendees and TheOhioOutdoors.com, comprised of Joe Wilson, Jesse Roush, the members, representatives, and affiliates of TheOhioOutdoors.com - shall be responsible for its own liability arising from its attendance and involvement in this function. WE ARE NOT responsible for any accidents, injuries, or deaths. You are attending this event by your own free will and agree to indemnify and hold harmless TheOhioOutdoors.com for any claim, demand, cost, liability, loss, or damage suffered as a result of attending this function.

PLEASE SEE THE FOLLOWING:

(A) Notwithstanding any provisions of rule 1501:41-15-08, of the Administrative Code, no person shall at any time take, hunt, trap, kill, pursue, or shoot at any wildlife and/or wild animals by any means within four hundred feet of any nature trail, picnic area, construction area, state trail, service area, camping area, residence, barn, service building, shelter house, beach, water or sewage treatment facility, backpack trail, latrine, parking lot, cabin, lodge, or other structure or to shoot on, from, or across any road, or driveway within any area administered by the division.

Due to the above, we are severely limited on space to hunt at Strouds. We can figure out who gets to hunt there later on, but there will be other options available. AEP Poston Plant Lands offers 2,240 acres of public hunting. Click here to view a map of this area: Poston Map. This is a 20 minute drive from Strouds.

In addition to the Poston Lands, there are several thousand acres of Wayne National Forest within a short drive of Strouds as well. For a map of the Athens Unit of WNF, click here: WNF Athens. We also have an ace up our sleeve which we will talk about at Strouds. See you there!!!

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Doesn't matter to me. I have hunted both muzzy and bow and still couldn't kill a dang deer. If we go before or after muzzy we could just take the shoty out and plug a few tree rats lmao.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm thinking the first option because better chance of good camping weather. However, I know I have a wedding I have to attend in October and gotta check the date later. I'm thinking it is late October. I know I'm out for the muzzy weekend. eric Church is in Pittsburgh that weekend and we got tickets already.

I'll vote later.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The 13th is Columbus Day.

I like the idea of archery so we can squirrel hunt as well. If we go the 18-19, fall turkey is also in. That weekend should mark the start of the South Zone duck/goose season. I could always do some leg work and try to get us a spot for a good field hunt for geese as there are lots of resident geese down there.

I think if we just want to go enjoy the outdoors, the 18-19 is the best time to go.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm good with the 18th-19th. I'm getting married Oct 11th so that's out for me, but I'm still going to drop a deer that morning lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just checked. My only weekend available is the 4-5.

But, go with what you guys want. If I'm free bet your ass I'll be there.

That wedding on the 18th is one I can't miss if I wanna stay married.

Who gets married during deer gun season. Inconsiderate assholes.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I vote for October 11-12. I'm pretty sure you can squirrel hunt that weekend if you choose to. You just have to wear orange. I also like the idea of conducting all muzzleloading activities a long ways from home. :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I doubt that... Mason told him to suck on that. It's all Mason's fault that we've been kicked out of the Rex's petting zoo. :)

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I doubt that... Mason told him to suck on that. It's all Mason's fault that we've been kicked out of the Rex's petting zoo. :)

Well, he did shoot like 4 of them now didn't he lol.

I'm tellin ya there isn't any deer on that place during daylight hours that you won't have to literally crawl thru the thickest nastiest stuff to kick up. I'm talkin thick enough you can't get your gun up and so thick you can't see more then 10' in front of you. That's why I'm shootin tree rats lmao.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
If I am free I will be there
Doesn't matter to me but shooting tree rats sound more fun than sweating my nuts off with a muzzy.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Right!
It's like having a kid during the rut. Oh wait... Klay was born Nov. 16. OK, nix that last part. But, who gets married during hunting season? WTF?!?!? That's like people who get married during college football rivalry weekend.

I will be married October 11th and I'll be in the woods on the 12th. My ol lady understands how it goes. Hell, I'll be out the morning of the 11th shooting me a fat doe before I get married, this has already been discussed.