Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1972 First Ohio deer

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I was looking for something today and ran across this treasure from 1972.
I was living in Willard OH. and was a manager of American Finance office in Willard. Anyway I met several friends there that deer hunted in the area. We made a one week deer hunting trip to WI and had a drunken brawl but no deer harvested.
I started bow hunting in 1972 and missed a doe 2 times.

Then I went out the 1st day of gun season and kicked up a herd of deer walking to my stand and shot a nice 9 point buck. At that time I was using a Winchester 1897 pump 16 ga. shotgun.
I was unable to load the deer onto my 1972 Volkswagon Beetle so I called my friend and he came and helped me.
He went back the next day and picked up my shotgun casing I shot the buck with and presented me with this little treasure. I have cherished it for the last 42 yrs.
I did have the buck mounted as it was my 1st deer in Ohio. I never mounted another head in all these years. I'll dig that mount out for a picture.

A interesting side note is the local newspaper contacted me and took my picture and put a short article in the Willard paper. Haven't seen that clipping for years I'll ask the wife if she knows where it is. There was only 5074 deer harvested in Ohio in 1972. How the times have changed for the better.

Hopefully that friend visits this TOO site and contacts me.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks guys it does bring back good memories.
Anyone from the Willard area? I believe his name was Rod and he would be about 70 now.
As they say when you get older the 2nd thing that goes is the memory and I already forgot the 1st thing.

I found the Ohio deer harvest chart and only 5074 deer was taken in 1972.

Last edited:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I'm about 20 minutes south of Willard give me something solid and I'll try and do some research.

Very cool story by the way.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm about 20 minutes south of Willard give me something solid and I'll try and do some research.

Very cool story by the way.

I don't have much to work with. I moved from Willard in 1973 after living there only 2 yrs.
I'm thinking his name was Rod or Rodney and I believe at that time he worked for the phonebook printing company there in Willard.
Thanks for the offer.
Was hoping he might jump in here after seeing the plague he gave way back then.