Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

securing a ground blind

firstflight111

OHIO
Bought a ground blind last year and had the same issue. Any amount of snow would collapse in the roof which acted as a bowl for more snow. Lol. After the big snow around muzzy I went to the blind and the roof hub was literally touching the ground inside. I'm thinking next year I'll takie a length of PVC pipe and prop up the center hub on the inside.
They make a roof support just for ground blinds now .

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I can't find it now but Midway USA has a ground blind roof support thing for about $25. It's kind of a neat idea, it's like a shooting stick that's adjustable. You can leave it in your blind to hold the roof up then collapse it down to use as a shooting stick and extend it back out to hold the roof up when you're done.

Personally I don't buy all the crazy stuff so I won't get that but I do think they had a great idea.

Blind Saver

They make a roof support just for ground blinds now .

First off, this is my product...and spamming is not my intention. If my post upsets anyone I apologize. I'm an avid hunter from Kansas and have 2 young sons that love deer and turkey hunting. When my oldest (now 13) was 6 I took him out of school to go turkey hunting. When we arrived at our hub style blind (had placed it a week prior) the wind and rain had collapsed the roof and it filled with water causing an extremely heavy load which busted several of the poles. Once we removed the water the blind wouldn't stand on its own and our hunt was over. Fast forward to November of that same year and we had a similar issue with an early wet snow. Keep in mind that I've tried several "diy" fixes such as pvc and 2X4's but with the wind we get in Kansas I found if it doesn't somehow attach to the hub and stick in the ground it's eventually going to fail. I wasn't looking to start a business or create a product, I was looking for a solution so I could keep hunting out of pop ups. This year my 13 year old will make his first attempt at harvesting a Kansas whitetail with his bow. His mom insist he hunts from a ground blind so she's not worrying about him falling. I'll have 3 or 4 set up for him. Anyways...long story short, here's a link to our products:

http://www.blueriverinnovations.com/

Here's a link to our "where to buy" section on our web site: (Jackie's Deer Lures - Middletown, OH has been great to work with and has put our products in many magazines and online sites for dealers)

http://www.blueriverinnovations.com/where-to-buy/

Thank you for taking time to read this post. I know it's long but I wanted to tell a very short version of my story.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Did any of you guys try the PVC pipe trick or any other roof support? I was thinking of doing that with my new Primos blind but just never got around to it. Of course we've had snow, rain, ice etc... lately and my $250 blind has collapsed and broke. 3rd blind I've lost in the last 4 years.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'll tell ya, I take paracord out with me when I'm sitting up a blind, and I tie cord to every hub, the stretch it tight to a nearby tree and tie off. I try to position the top under a low hanging branch that is stable enough I can tie the roof off to it as well. Haven't had a blind collapse since doing this, and we have some pretty nasty winds here at the house.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Both of my Barronetts collapsed under the weight of the snow. They both also pushed right back into place with no problem except for one, didn't see the chunk of ice in my main blind, ripped the material. We had to leave it like that until we could replace it or fix it with tape. Well, that night is when we got the really bad wind storms, that pretty much finished that one off. In the meantime, I ordered 2 of the roof supports for hub style blinds.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Did any of you guys try the PVC pipe trick or any other roof support? I was thinking of doing that with my new Primos blind but just never got around to it. Of course we've had snow, rain, ice etc... lately and my $250 blind has collapsed and broke. 3rd blind I've lost in the last 4 years.

I just cut a long straight sapling and used my knife to make a divot in the end. The end with the divot goes against the roof hub and the nut on the hub sits in the divot. I have a six inch length of para cord tied to the top of the pole that I tie to the hub to in order to keep the pole from falling. When I get in the blind I just pull the para cord to untie the bowtie knot and set the stick outside. Haven't had any big snows to test it but no reason it shouldn't work.