Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Outdoor bucket list?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I am starting a bucket list for things I wanna do in the outdoors. Some things I REALLY wanna do:

- Goliath Grouper fishing (maybe Willy can tag along as they are in FL.)
- Elk hunt out west (should be accomplished in fall of 2015)
- Return to Iowa for a pheasant hunt
- Canadian fishing trip for walleye, pike and musky
- Build my own long bow and harvest a deer with it
- Pig hunt with my bow
- Waterfowl hunt in flooded timber/swamp

Do you have any must do trips?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Africa hunt and hopefully in 2015. Time is running out as I'm pushing 71.

As far as whitetails go there is no place I'd rather be than down on the farm in Ohio. I guess for that I could say my bucket list is to build something, a cabin or house, down there so we can have a good place to stay and not have to pack the kitchen sink each time we come down. Also would give us a place once we actually can move down there.

I want to go back to Saskatchewan again for another bow-bear hunt. The way it's going I won't get there until maybe the kids are old enough to make the trip. Of course that would be even better but I sure would like to get up there soon.

Other than that I don't have any real big must-do's. I used to want to go elk hunting out west but that isn't much of a priority for me. Maybe just a visit out there would be more in order for me. Just seems like too much of a pain in the ass to plan for, pack for and I'd probably have a heart attack hiking up and down the mountains LOL. I guess one thing I would LOVE to do would be to go to Alaska and do a caribou hunt. I know with my lifestyle and income that will never happen though. Of course I always tell the kids that's one thing they should do if they ever got the opportunity.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
- DIY Colorado Elk hunt during the rut in September. (been told this is turkey hunting on steroids)
- Spring Black Bear hunt / fishing trip anywhere in Canada.
- Hunt anything in Alaska
- Desert Coues deer in Arizona
- Mule Deer and Pronghorn hunt anywhere out west.
- Whitetail hunt on a farm in Iowa or Kansas

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Alaska is on my list also. Would like to take a month and hunt waterfowl, bear and a caribou. Then fish for lingcod and huge flounder.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You guys have some great ideas. I'm pretty well done with my bucket list. The exception being I want to take Mason out west. I've been elk hunting several times, but never antelope hunting. I think we would both enjoy that - with rifles as I've never killed a big game animal with one. The only other thing is a father/son trip up to Jon's place in Buffalo Co WI. I want Mason to see that and already mentioned to Jon that I plan to bring him when he's 16 or so. That is all...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Bear hunt with bow someday. In the realistic near future my outdoor bucket list includes finishing my brick paver patio out back so I don't have to listen to momma bear grumbling another year.

Diablo54

Outside
I dunno where to start haha

1. A deer from the ground with a flint head

2. A deer with a self bow

3. Moose bow hunt.

4.predator hunt in Texas or Mexico

5. I would love to shed hunt Iowa. Give me a week on a few big farms the 3 rd week of March and I would be in heaven. I would rather shed hunt than deer hunt lol

6. Kill a double drop tine

7. Once I'm old I want the turkey grand slam.

8. Hunt with mountaineer for a week. Just to learn how to be a pro.

Most of mine are backpacking related.
backpack 12 days in the Canadian rockys
See more of the cascades
Photograph/see all North American big game animals it the wild. I'm getting close on that one moose, dall ram, and caribou are all that's left.
summit MT rainier this before I leave Washington.
kill a deer with my self bow
hike thru hike the Appalachian trail
12 day backpacking trip in Denali NP
go to all 50 states. only got six to go anyway.
Recurve bow hunt pronghorns.
Lots and lots of backpacking trips I cant even list them all.
trap all legal fur bearers in Ohio. I still need a river otter.

I've been to a lot of places on your guys bucket list. This is making me realize that I am pretty well traveled and fortunate.

Last edited:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Not much on my list left that I want to do have bowhunted bear in Alaska, Saskatchewan and Alberta all great places. Bowhunted Pronghorn and mule deer in Wyoming which was my favorite place and hunt. No desire to do Africa as some friends have done plains game there and they all look like farm animals IMO. LOL And they said it was pretty easy. Guess my main thing now would be to start shooting some whitetails with a recurve have one being made and am excited to start that new phase of hunting in my life. Would also like to take my wife on a couple weeks road trip out west and just enjoy the scenery. Have a good friend in Alaska so maybe get back there some day and bowhunt a Moose or Brown Bear but no big deal if I don't just seem to really enjoy bowhunting our big whitetails here in Ohio.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't dream real big any more about outdoor pursuits because I know most won't happen. So I have whittled down my list over the years to a few I should be able to pull off. The duck hunting trips are the most important ones to me, with the trip to ND being the Holy Grail for me right now.

• Arkansas flooded timber duck hunt.
  • North Dakota waterfowl and pheasant hunt.
  • DIY archery/muzzleloader elk hunt in Montana.
  • Kill a OBB with my bow on our farm.
  • Kill a mature buck with a bow in a state other than Ohio.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Mine are pretty simple I think, but I don't get into extravagant and expensive trips.

1. Flooded timber duck hunt.
2. Spring snow goose hunt... Anywhere.
3. Archery elk hunt somewhere out west.
4. Pheasant hunt in SD or Iowa or Nebraska.
5. Grouse hunt up in Michigan.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mine are pretty simple I think, but I don't get into extravagant and expensive trips.

1. Flooded timber duck hunt.
2. Spring snow goose hunt... Anywhere.
3. Archery elk hunt somewhere out west.
4. Pheasant hunt in SD or Iowa or Nebraska.
5. Grouse hunt up in Michigan.
You can do some really good DIY hunts that are pretty cheap and also helps if you have friends that live far away as that saves a ton of money.

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
I am starting a bucket list for things I wanna do in the outdoors. Some things I REALLY wanna do:

- Goliath Grouper fishing (maybe Willy can tag along as they are in FL.)
- Elk hunt out west (should be accomplished in fall of 2015)
- Return to Iowa for a pheasant hunt
- Canadian fishing trip for walleye, pike and musky
- Build my own long bow and harvest a deer with it
- Pig hunt with my bow
- Waterfowl hunt in flooded timber/swamp

Do you have any must do trips?

I'm in for that. And that's a sweet bucket list!