Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

clover seed orders?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
for you all who food plot. I have a few questions.

1. Where would you buy seed from if you are ordering online, and shipping
2. What mix of clover would you use? I normally just do white/red but want input
3. This is going to be mostly for overseeding.

I have used blends in the past but like making my own a lot. Let me know what you all think.

Thanks!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
for you all who food plot. I have a few questions.

1. Where would you buy seed from if you are ordering online, and shipping
2. What mix of clover would you use? I normally just do white/red but want input
3. This is going to be mostly for overseeding.

I have used blends in the past but like making my own a lot. Let me know what you all think.

Thanks!

I would order from Merit Seed. No online... Just call them up... Ask for John Wengerd, he'll get you fixed up right. I've had great luck with their seed in years past.

As far as types of clovers go, I'm pretty much clueless. I've always just planted red clover.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good post. I'm ordering some clover from Merit Seed on Monday. I think I'll try one of their blends. Just have to research which one. Didn't have any luck with a clover planting last year but will try one more time.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Good post. I'm ordering some clover from Merit Seed on Monday. I think I'll try one of their blends. Just have to research which one. Didn't have any luck with a clover planting last year but will try one more time.

do you have to order from them? CAn you just pick it up there if your going through?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
do you have to order from them? CAn you just pick it up there if your going through?

Yep you can stop in and pick up whatever you need. They serve the local farmers too so their hours are pretty standard. Let them know you're planning on food-plotting for deer... act like you're interested in trying some minerals or something... Sometimes they'll throw some free product your way.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'll second working with John at Merit. That's what I did last year and I won't look back. Great service and great seeds.

What do you consider as the best clover mix from Merit? I'm looking at their Frontage Wildlife Blend. I want to to[ dress my 1/2 ac. plot of Whitetail Inst. clover I planted in 2012.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What do you consider as the best clover mix from Merit? I'm looking at their Frontage Wildlife Blend. I want to to[ dress my 1/2 ac. plot of Whitetail Inst. clover I planted in 2012.

They have a blend that is comparable (or better) than WI's imperial whitetail clover... I believe Merit's version is called Classic Whitetail. I think I remember John Yoder telling me that WI got all huffy about it when they came out with the blend...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've been ordering Ladino clover from my local farm co-op.
Price for 50# was $ 133.00 two years ago and $ 156.00 last year.

Right around 3 bucks per pound. That seems like a pretty good price for Ladino. And 50# will plant a lot of clover!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I talked to John today at Merit Seed and he recommended Frontage Wildlife Blend clover to top dress my clover patch from last year. It's been ordered and will be spread next week.
John was helpful and wasn't in a hurry to get me off the phone. He spoke highly of TOO forum members.