Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone own an Old Town Pack Canoe?

I'm considering the purchase of an Old Town Pack canoe, but would like to hear from those that own or have owned one...even those that may have paddled one for a time. There are 2 models: the Pack and the Pack Angler, the performance of either would be the same.
http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/sporting/pack_angler/

* How good is the stability?
* Did it track fairly well?

I'm open to the pros and cons of this canoe vs. an angling kayak.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Huckleberry Finn said:
Have you ever looked at a NuCanoe?
Yes and they are very nice boats. However, they're still in that 1K price range that will put you into a Jackson, Wilderness Systems or Native Watercraft. All of which are great watercrafts, but a little to rich for my blood, until I hit the lottery. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

Huckleberry Finn

Yes and they are very nice boats. However, they're still in that 1K price range that will put you into a Jackson, Wilderness Systems or Native Watercraft. All of which are great watercrafts, but a little to rich for my blood, until I hit the lottery. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

The MSRP on that one you just posted is in that ballpark - just wondering

I looked at an Old Town Guide 119, at Dick's Sporting Goods for $499, that's very similar to the Pack. The bottom hull design isn't as flat as the Pack, so I may be looking at another kayak. Perhaps the Ascend FS10, at Bass Pro for the same $499 and it's designed for fishing.

As soon as I sell my current kayak, I'll be shopping with serious intent. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

I took it for a test drive and it handled well, as far as paddling, turning, etc. while using a kayak paddle. However the seat of a canoe is a good 6" to 8" above the water level and that makes for a less stable watercraft. If I was slide off of the seat to the floor, before reaching for an object in the front or back of the canoe, it would tip to the side...sharply. This movement did not impress me for good stability for fishing. :smiley_armscrossed:

Perception has a new model of angler kayak, for 2014. So, I'm taking it back and getting an angler kayak, but the sale doesn't start until this Saturday.

Bowhunter57