Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Mineral/supplement

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Every deer is different, so you never know. I've had Trophy Rocks out in the past and while deer use them, they don't seem to have the lasting power that the mix I use does. And at $15+ a pop, that can add up in a hurry. I also know people that have tried mine without any luck. There are a lot of variables in this game also. The first 2 years I tried minerals at our farm the traffic was not what I'd experienced at licks on other farms in the past. During a shed hunting trip that summer I located an existing lick that was originally for cows, but the deer had taken it over. After covering it with brush and moving my lick to a different spot closer to water and cover, I hit the jack pot.

Mineral sites are great for cameras and that's the primary reason people use them IMO. But when done right, they are a very beneficial supplement to the local deer herd.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
We have used several different mineral brands over the years, None worked any better for us then Jesses DIY mineral. And personally I would not pour buck jam directly on my mineral site.

We have used several different mineral brands over the years, None worked any better for us then Jesses DIY mineral. And personally I would not pour buck jam directly on my mineral site.

Why wouldn't you pour buck jam on your mineral site?

I'm of the frame of mind adding extra things like buck jam or shelled corn on/in the minerals helps get them there faster, keeps them there longer and helps make sure that they are actually consuming mineral along with the extra attractant.

Ricer2231

I'm of the frame of mind adding extra things like buck jam or shelled corn on/in the minerals helps get them there faster, keeps them there longer and helps make sure that they are actually consuming mineral along with the extra attractant.
That was kinda my frame of thinking

QUOTE=motorbreaker;326950]For one I haven't ever had any luck with buck jam attracting deer. We did it once and it looked as if it molded on top of the mineral. If I were going to use buck jam id pour it on the outside of the lic
I haven't tried Buck Jam before but I do know people that have and have had good luck with it. Kinda like what was said earlier, deer are different everywhere.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would say the minerals look great Don. I don't think you can do it "wrong". The way you did it should work well in my opinion. Never tried Buckjam but have sprinkled a little corn in them before just to help the deer find the minerals.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I always add corn to a new site or when I kick them off in the spring. Just ensures they find it. I also think Buck Jam is a waste of money based on my results, but you never know. It works for some.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
uploadfromtaptalk1398186857201.jpg
I would say the minerals look great Don. I don't think you can do it "wrong". The way you did it should work well in my opinion. Never tried Buckjam but have sprinkled a little corn in them before just to help the deer find the minerals.

Exactly you can't do it wrong Don try several and see what your deer prefer its not rocket science I have had great luck with mine and that includes adding a little jam.Here are a few pics of bucks hitting my mineral's.I may have to try some of Jesse's blend and see how it works in my area always willing to try a new blend but the four65 has worked great for me and I just put a bag down in March and one in July and add a little jam around the site works for me. Have always had good luck with the rocks but really like the four65.Good luck with whatever works for you as they are a great tool for getting good pics of the bucks in your area. uploadfromtaptalk1398186857201.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398186905943.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398186944623.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398187002804.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398187032305.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398187063357.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398187107160.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398187283356.jpg

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Never thought of dropping some corn on top of the mineral spot. I will do so. I haven't check the 2 new ones I put out 2 weeks ago. ASAP.

How about that it's 38 minutes later and I have corn pored on all 3 mineral sites. The 2 new sites and the 1 yr. old site all had foot prints in them. Now they all have corn on them. We'll see the outcome.

Last edited:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The corn will bring deer in all the time but if you really want to know how well your minerals are working for you why not just try them as is with no corn that would be the real test . You can put corn in every kind of mineral out there and the deer will always be there I like to try them without just lets me know what works or not. If it doesn't do well time to move on to the next one. Once they take over the mineral it is a good place to put your corn in the Fall just before season when they start backing off the minerals as they are already in a pattern of coming in to that area.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I always add corn to a new site or when I kick them off in the spring. Just ensures they find it. I also think Buck Jam is a waste of money based on my results, but you never know. It works for some.

Is the adding corn in your instructions posted? If so I missed it but then I miss a lot of things. LOL

Ricer2231

Well I gave my mineral site almost a week and I couldn't take it anymore I had to check it out and pull my card. My card had 150 pics in 6 days and the mineral site was really trampled.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398460328.991802.jpg
Plus a bonus is the deer are using the watering hole I dug.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398460352.004972.jpg
I haven't gotten the second site out yet but so far I am really happy with the first one. Here are a few of the TC pics.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398460627.400657.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398460642.897600.jpg
Thought this one was funny.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398460674.726970.jpg
Check these out.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398460699.756701.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398460713.259327.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398460727.098605.jpg