Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

PCR vote

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Lmao! Was there any doubt? The DOW says "Cha-ching!" as you all run out and buy new rifles and ammo. Woohoo! Mo money, mo money, mo money.

I'm willing to bet the increase in sales on these rifles and ammo will be negligible at best. It's just adding opportunity, not revenue.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I don't see how your reading it that way.

A new regulation states shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles used for deer hunting be loaded with no more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. The current hunting regulation states a shotgun must be plugged if it is capable of holding more than three shells.

That's how, count me as 3 reading it as no more plugs.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No, my M1A shoots 7762x51. But with the range finding scope that Geezer dialed in, 1000 yard shots should be a breeze. Fayette Co deer are outta luck!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is what I know: I am stocking up on any I can find a deal on. Come August, Sept, October during our show season. . . .those will be hot sellers. Last year or year before Michigan allowed crossbows. Holee cow. The guys selling crossbows couldn't find enough of them to sell when the MI boys came down to the shows.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I really don't see much of a increase in PCR rifle sales. Most of the hunters that will be using a PCR probably already owns one. Then maybe not. I'll let you know later how it looks on sales at the gun shows.
My only hope is when inexperienced hunters see the word of rifle they don't start thinking long range. A pistol round in a rifle isn't really a long range firearm. The rifle is just easier and more accurate to use.
My use will be just something new to use. I've used both 45-70 and 44 mag. rifles on crop permits years ago just to do it. But always went back to my 44 Mag. pistol.
Maybe this year I can do a bow, PCR, and a smokeless ML deer kill. That would be neat to do.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I really don't see much of a increase in PCR rifle sales. Most of the hunters that will be using a PCR probably already owns one. Then maybe not. I'll let you know later how it looks on sales at the gun shows.
My only hope is when inexperienced hunters see the word of rifle they don't start thinking long range. A pistol round in a rifle isn't really a long range firearm. The rifle is just easier and more accurate to use.
My use will be just something new to use. I've used both 45-70 and 44 mag. rifles on crop permits years ago just to do it. But always went back to my 44 Mag. pistol.
Maybe this year I can do a bow, PCR, and a smokeless ML deer kill. That would be neat to do.

If you hear or know of any decent priced and good shape/quality 44mag lever actions please let me know.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If you hear or know of any decent priced and good shape/quality 44mag lever actions please let me know.

That is one rifle I've never see at the gunshows. Of course I get tunnel vision when I'm not interested. I have few interest these days. My main interest is 22 caliber Military Trainer rifles. Then target rifles as both are good investments. So I miss a lot of other types.
I've been lucky these last few years and have done it all. Now it's just investment type of purchases.

Probably the Marlin 44 mag. is the best out there followed by the Ruger and Rossi.
Don't overlook the Ruger auto in 44 Mag. I have one of the original Deer Slayer models from the 1970's and it shoots great. Compact little carbine.

The Henry is a good rifle and never heard anything bad about them. But never seen one go through the show.

There are a few Win 94 in 44 mag. I sold a nice one to my friend who is a Attorney. And he was going to sell it back to me for what he paid for it 25 yrs. ago. Now he'll probably keep it since Ohio has a PCR season. But he doesn't hunt so maybe I still have a chance getting it. Darn.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I think I'll wait until the hype wears off then buy a slightly used one....

The rifles will start showing up 30 days at the gunshows after deer season is over. It's the same with the ML, bows and crossbows. Either the want to be hunters had a dream of getting a deer and didn't or sell it off and get another one just before the next deer season comes around. It's the same every year.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The rifles will start showing up 30 days at the gunshows after deer season is over. It's the same with the ML, bows and crossbows. Either the want to be hunters had a dream of getting a deer and didn't or sell it off and get another one just before the next deer season comes around. It's the same every year.

Frank if you see any great deals post away buddy lol....