Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best Gun Smith

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Thanks Huck. I believe I have 3 good leads with these gentlemen. All have experience working on a falling block, breech loading gun. I have to decide the caliber since the original is no longer made ( The rifle was probably a Gibbs /Metford .461 No2, a propriety Black powder round. It would have had Metfords accelerated twist segmental rifling and would have shot either 570 grain paper patched bullets or the 360 grain patched express bullet.)

I realize this has been an unusual request for the forum and appreciate the input from each of you that posted.
If anyone else has a thought, please speak up. These guys are running between 10 and 18 months before my turn would come up so I have a little time yet.

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Do just want a modern caliber barrel installed or bring it back to original? The reason I ask it doesn't take much skill to in stall a barrel.
The friend I use is no well known name but has always done me right. Just slow. But he knows I'm not in a hurry and as a friend he doesn't charge me near enough.
How about a picture of the gun?

Also to you want a new barrel put on or a liner installed?

Here's a picture of a Ruger #1 that was a 30-06 that I had him convert to a 22LR. We kept the original Ruger barrel and installed a match grade 22LR liner. He lowered the original firing pin to hit on the 22LR rim. It shoots one hole groups at 25 yds. for a custom squirrel rifle.

I just got my custom Winchester 52 back from him. He made me a rear scope base to fit in the receiver sight cutout so I can install a modern scope. Notice the custom double set triggers. The rifle was put into a Stoegers 1930's custom stock and the triggers were probably installed at that time. With a modern scope it'll be another of my special squirrel rifles.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Nice set up MK. Actually, that Ruger was designed after the Gibbs Farquharsons. I'm sure you will get lots of enjoyment from it.

Thank You again Sam.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Couple pictures of the Winchester 52 with double set triggers and 1930's Stoeger stock.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That is a nice rifle and does deserve the best. What caliber you thinking of?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I'm all over the place.
First I wanted the orgional. - .461 No. 2
Gibbs said that was no longer an option and said the only alternative would be to rebarrel it in 450 3¼” Black powder express.

Then I started kicking around a .375 Mag. but I'm told I can (should) step it down to a .375 "flanged"
I'm not sure if that's going to limit me any as the .375 Mag can take down ANY thing that walks the earth...

I know the "straight wall/Ohio" thing is tempting TOO but I'm not sure I want to limit the gun to something like a 45/70 when It started out such a grand caliber.

Somewhere before I came along, a Browning 20 gage barrel was put on and the gun and the original has been lost to time. I have hunted bunnies and deer with that gun as a boy having no idea of its history, value or original configuration. In my 20's was the first point I became aware of its history and have spent the last 35 years looking for a Gibbs barrel or wondering what to do with her all the while feeling she deserved to be restored to some realm of original style with the possibly an old American caliber or African/big/dangerous game caliber...

So you see its not an easy decision...its been on my bucket list long enough.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wow what a history that rifle went through. Someone treated it as a tool when they installed the shotgun barrel.
My friend can re-barrel it but he can't taper turn the barrel so it would have to be a straight diameter.
Not sure but it's possible to make a switch barrel out of it and have different calibers. If you keep the same case head there is only a need for one extractor. Something to think about.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
File this under "Unbelievable- what are the odds"

Gibbs in Bristol, England contacted me to say they may have found the original barrel and forend wood! They have asked me to get some measurements.

Its a .577 BP Express!
Good God that's a big round. 520 gr. @ 1700 FPS.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Glad to hear CJD. I hope it works out and you can get that barrel for it. That would be so awesome to see it all back in order.

I didn't post anything helpful only because I no longer know anybody that has a good reputation for gunsmithing anymore. Last time I had work done on any guns was well over 20 years ago. Still looking for a good smithy to fix my firing pin on my single shot 20ga I haven't shot in probably close to that 20 year mark lol.

Huckleberry Finn

Wow - finally got to see the Gibbs.

If you get it redone in .577, I'll pay your ticket after you kill an Ohio deer with it!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Thanks guys!
But me and George have a long way to go before I shoot anything...
I'll keep you posted.

(how about a pool to get me out west for a Elk lol. an elk would be cool. )

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
What started out slow has turned into a great story on that rifle!!!! Holy smokes .577!!!! Thats a two streak gun when you shoot it. One where your feet were planted and the other in your shorts lol!!! Glad its working out for ya. Can't wait to see it when its brought back to life.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Update...
Well the barrel Gibbs had will not fit after all the measuring was done. I'm back to square 1.
I am told the 375 is probably to much pressure and am considering the 450 BPE as an alternative.
I'm disappointed the barrel was not "the one" but the odds of it being the original after all those years was really a long shot anyway.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Bummer. I was hoping to see an update where this worked out perfectly. Good luck in your search.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Dang, that sucks.

I'm a little surprised they said that action can't handle .375h&h. I know it's an 1880's action but lots of similar aged American actions are rechambered to cartridges that run similar pressures.