Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Busting the Groundhogs !

ray12

Shot 8 of them now and thats all in one field ! I want to try and get permission on a few propertys to shoot some groundhogs!

These are not all from this year but a few of them are !

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Can't beat the kinetic energy of a 4 iron lol

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1396540238298.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396540238298.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 129

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I cannot believe how many I have seen in the last week. I need to renew my hunting license. It is about time for turkey season anyway.

bluedog

I am itching to do some whistle pig hunting! I keep trying to tell myself that it really doesn't get good until June, but usually by now I've shot one. I haven't even seen one on the farm yet. I did see one at the next door neighbor's place though last week so I know they are out. Well, we will have soybeans on our place this year so I should have good opportunity once the beans get planted and start coming up. I took a walk through the woods today just to stretch my legs and look around. The .17hmr came with me just in case, but didn't see a one.

I did however see something that made me excited for the coming fall. Mostly we have fox squirrels around here, but about 5 or so years ago I started seeing some greys. Every year I see more of them. Up in town (about 6 miles from the farm), I see a fair number of the black color phase of the grey squirrel. Well today while walking through my woods, I saw a black squirrel here on the farm. I've always wanted to take one of those during squirrel season. Maybe 2014 I'll get a chance.

Still waiting on a groundhog though.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've been stalking ground hogs with my sig the last few days lol.... Have had two long shots @ close too 50-60 feet with one hitting an unseen branch and a flat out miss lol.... Well the good thing is my stalking skills are improving lol....

Ricer2231

What's the purpose for killing Groundhogs? Do you eat them?

Some people do eat them. I have tried them prepared in many different ways before and they really aren't bad. I hunt them more because they are a hinderance to the landowner and they do quite a bit of damage to their fields. It can also be a hazard to livestock, stepping in the holes and possibly breaking a leg and hazardous to farm equipment, possibly breaking an axle.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They do an incredible amount of damage to soybeans and corn; vegetable gardens and flower beds; as well as car tires and engine wiring.

Lest we not forget the damage to footers in barns, garages, houses, and other such foundations. They do a ton of damage.

Like the others have said, they are very destructive critters if left unchecked. Especially around any foundations, in fields, etc.. Mentioned it before on here but my uncle used to talk about how back in the depression they would eat groundhogs just for something to eat. He had a great respect for the little critters...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
What's the purpose for killing Groundhogs? Do you eat them?

They will also be a problem to damns. I have to deal with them every other year.

For what its worth, our member "Badger" has an outstanding recipe for young chucks. I'm not kidding! I was really surprised at just how good they are. Several TOO member's can attest to it.

Once you try whistle pig, it changes a man... lol Good stuff!

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
They will also be a problem to damns. I have to deal with them every other year.

For what its worth, our member "Badger" has an outstanding recipe for young chucks. I'm not kidding! I was really surprised at just how good they are. Several TOO member's can attest to it.

Once you try whistle pig, it changes a man... lol Good stuff!

Yeah Steve has t been the same since lol.... Dales ground hog was very good, I was surprised as I had a lot of misconceptions with groundhog meat.....