Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Did hell freeze over?

I was just wondering if anyone has heard if hell has frozen over, I found a can of Federal copper plated hp 22lr for a reasonable price WAHOOO!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395512525.695095.jpg

lung buster

hocking county
Good for you! I was able to get 4 bricks of blazer at cabelas last week and that should last my kids all summer. I'm done looking for it. I'll buy any at a reasonable price but I'm done going out of my way.

I was up in Tiffin yesterday and stopped at a gun shop I had never been to and stumbled on to them. I'm with you not going out of my way or paying to much.

Yea actually paid $25 but the last box of 550 I saw was at a gun show and they wanted$75, I told them to keep them. I have a good supply in the safe but when I find a decent deal I grab them.

That's good news thanks for the info Strizzi, man it has been dry here in Allen county for quite awhile. I reload all of my center fire and hand gun ammo it's just hell finding 22s I'm still able to find 17s.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I paid 40$ for 550rds of federal a few weeks ago.I have a 8 yr old son so I am willing to pay to play.

That's cheap entertainment for a kid so it's worth it but wow. A couple years ago you could go into Walmart and get as many of those as you wanted for $15/box. I still have a few partial boxes of that from before it got bad. I still have not seen a bulk box of ammo anywhere in over a year now. I see the higher end 50 round boxes for around $10 and that's it.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Talk about a pisser - I was at BassPro and they had Winchester .22lr's in boxes of 333 for $18 - I got a box and so did my wife. (Limit 1 ea)
I was on a high, till I took 'em to the range and they wouldn't cycle my pistol (Browning Buckmark). They'd fire, but fail to eject. Same result with my buddy's S&W MP-22, fire, but no eject.....so I'm stuck with two boxes that aren't good for anything other than using in my single-shot bolt action rifles.

What a pisser.

Dragtruck

I had the same issue with the Winchester 333 box in my savage 64, several FTE's And a few FTF's. sucks when find ammo and then it won't work in your gun!

That really stinks, sounds like weak loads. The ammo manufactures have ramped up production to meet the high demand and sounds like they are having some quality problems. I have read that some companies plan to expand, more machinery and personnel etc. When they push more out than what the machinery and staff can handle quality problems are to be expected, it just sucks when loyal customers pay the price.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
On a side note I saw Cabelas had 1000 round cases of pmc .223 today for like $443. Still 44 cents a round but way better than the 350 bucks a 500 round case was going for a year ago.

As I walked out the door with 5 rounds of hevi blend turkey at $34 bucks. Lmao.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
On a side note I saw Cabelas had 1000 round cases of pmc .223 today for like $443. Still 44 cents a round but way better than the 350 bucks a 500 round case was going for a year ago.

As I walked out the door with 5 rounds of hevi blend turkey at $34 bucks. Lmao.

No kidding. What sort of corner on the market allows a company to command $7/shotgun shell? What a crock!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No kidding. What sort of corner on the market allows a company to command $7/shotgun shell? What a crock!

At the moment of truth what's an extra 4 bucks. With everything that goes into turkey hunting I'll spend the extra 3 bucks to know that birds gonna get hammered when the trigger gets pulled. Shot one last year that tried to slip out on us after he realized the gig was up. We had hunted hard and covered a ton of ground that day. Finally got one to gobble and we got set up real quick as he was on the way. When he came in the woods were really open and he didn't see the hen. His buddy and he ducked their heads and tried to slip out. Bang! 72 paces.

At the moment of truth what's an extra 4 bucks. With everything that goes into turkey hunting I'll spend the extra 3 bucks to know that birds gonna get hammered when the trigger gets pulled. Shot one last year that tried to slip out on us after he realized the gig was up. We had hunted hard and covered a ton of ground that day. Finally got one to gobble and we got set up real quick as he was on the way. When he came in the woods were really open and he didn't see the hen. His buddy and he ducked their heads and tried to slip out. Bang! 72 paces.

Ever tried some of the new an less expensive loads? I am a newbie but word on the street is there are some highly effective,great patterning load that cost half of that.Just wondering what your experiences are with other loads in your current gun,barrel,and choke combo?

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ever drop $30 on five rounds, call in your first turkey and have your gun NOT fire? Yeah. That was me last year. lmao

I was in a Gander outside Columbus last fall and saw them marked 50% off. BOught 2 boxes at $12-15 each!!! Winning! Probably won't have time to hunt this year now.