Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Map of deer harvest by county?

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
I can't remember if I saw a map of the counties so I made one up (poorly), but its interesting to see the numbers other than in list form. I shaded the counties with 14% loss or more in harvest numbers. I noticed that of the 8 counties with an increase in numbers; 7 of them are border counties. 3 with PA, 2 with lake erie, and 1 each with MI and IN. The increases are minimal in most of the counties. I will be curious to compare next years numbers with these.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
its easy to see that all the counties that are in the top ten for kills every year are still headed down hill. the central ohio area, that everyone wanted too hunt a few years ago is no longer what it was.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It is no surprise the NW Ohio counties are down. Many 15-20%. You can't go from 2 deer counties killing 700-900 deer a year to 4 deer counties killing 1200-1300/yr without a reduction in the herd.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
dont deer grow on trees? Just like money does?

State just needs to find more deer trees, and money trees! Forget doing math and worrying about the declining deer herd! (sarcasm)

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
dont deer grow on trees? Just like money does?

State just needs to find more deer trees, and money trees! Forget doing math and worrying about the declining deer herd! (sarcasm)

They don't grow on trees, they are behind every tree. Geez, get it right!:D I have several trees in the backyard and I guarantee you theres a 30 pointer bedded down behind each one.

Last edited:

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Happy to see the two counties I hunt are in decline

See that is the problem. From a previous post on another thread you report seeing an abnormal amount of deer while hunting, if I remember right 80 plus deer a night. You also reported that you have abnormally good land too hunt, meaning low to no hunting pressure for a long way around you. The comment that you made above leads me to believe that just because you are seeing a ton of deer on your little track of heaven that you hunt, that you think the whole county is the same way. I do not know or care where you hunt, just pointing this out because it's blanket statements like this one which got us in trouble to begin with, and which our state is currently using to manage our statewide deer herd. The problem is not too many deer state or county wide, the problem is too many deer in areas that the majority of people can not and never will be able to hunt. While you may be seeing 60 deer a night now instead of 80, the poor bastard down the road hunting public land went from seeing 7 deer the entire season to only seeing 4. Not trying to pick on you, but do you see where I am coming from? We hunters need to watch out for each other. What is going on right now and has been going on the past 7 years with our statewide deer herd is not something that is a winning situation for the majority of hunters.