Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Genius or Madness? Running To Your Treestand

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I've done the last hundred or 200 yds on a jog before when a stealthy approach is impossible. I think its less likely to spook critters in certain situations .

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I hunt a couple places by train tracks. When a train is on the tracks i run like mad until the train is by. Cover as much ground as possible.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've seen more deer as I was climbing into my stand walking in at a good clip than I ever did sneaking in.

Agreed. Deer don't know what that noise is in the dark and will lay there and let you walk off. It is the "human" noises like metal on metal that spook them. This tactic has always worked for me as well.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I hunt a couple places by train tracks. When a train is on the tracks i run like mad until the train is by. Cover as much ground as possible.

I do the same just walk faster as I have too cross them eventually for the last 200 yards....

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

My cover is the local county airport. Lots of planes flying over head and many times I can use that to my advantage walking in. Especially for an evening hunt. Air traffic is heavier around 2:00 or 3:00. Also, some loud jets flying over heading into Pittsburgh. I swear, I 'm in a direct line for the Pittsburgh airport and the jets make great cover noise as they lose altitude heading in from the west.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I don't typically like to share all my tactics, but this is one I feel may help others here, so what the hell. This is what I typically use when walking to and from my stand. I've walked right past deer without them even batting an eye. Well, except for one horny doe...

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I don't typically like to share all my tactics, but this is one I feel may help others here, so what the hell. This is what I typically use when walking to and from my stand. I've walked right past deer without them even batting an eye. Well, except for one horny doe...

YKW...........lol