Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Genius or Madness? Running To Your Treestand

I used to bowhunt with a guy from Hastings, Michigan that would walk very very fast...almost a jog to his treestand. He consistently killed some very nice bucks, so I guess you'd have to say it worked...at least it worked for him in that part of his state.

A best friend of mine was in his treestand until 11:00 a.m. and said that he had to take a leak, but didn't want to get down. So, he let it fly from his stand. In just 2 or 3 minutes there were several does and 2 bucks around his treestand. His opinion was that they heard the sound and assumed another deer was in the area...a familiar sound. :smiley_confused_vra

Bowhunter57

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I used to bowhunt with a guy from Hastings, Michigan that would walk very very fast...almost a jog to his treestand. He consistently killed some very nice bucks, so I guess you'd have to say it worked...at least it worked for him in that part of his state.

A best friend of mine was in his treestand until 11:00 a.m. and said that he had to take a leak, but didn't want to get down. So, he let it fly from his stand. In just 2 or 3 minutes there were several does and 2 bucks around his treestand. His opinion was that they heard the sound and assumed another deer was in the area...a familiar sound. :smiley_confused_vra

Bowhunter57

You know I did one of those 2 things right before I shot my buck in 2013. Won't say which one.

NEOhunter

I read that before and didn't know what to think. I think it makes some sense but I'm still thinking a good stealthy approach would be the best. But it may be worth a try.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I certainly wouldn't wanna be running in, but how many times have we heard a deer walking thru, thinking it was another hunter. Perhaps walking in fast would make a buck within hearing distance think it's another buck on a mission.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Crap, when it's cold out, I have enough trouble walking in slow with all the extra weight I'm wearing.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I think it's madness, but only for the fact that I would be sweating my ass off by the time I got there. I typically walk to my stands at a pretty good clip, and never worry about making noise while I walk. I worry more about metal on metal contact than I do crunching of leaves.

I've seen more deer as I was climbing into my stand walking in at a good clip than I ever did sneaking in.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
There are mornings that frozen, crunchy leaves make a stealthy approach impossible. I try to sound like a deer on those days, just a matter of changing the cadence of the walk. I think it's worked... When I am set up on the ground to rattle, there is nothing stealthy about it. One time, Sean and I set up to rattle on a frosty ridgetop. Eventually, he climbed out of his tree, ran around in circles grunting and tromping all over the place before quietly climbing back up to his stand. Honestly, I've never hear anything that sounded more like a buck chasing a doe... Nothing came in, but I appreciated his efforts, and in that hill country set up where hearing is far easier than seeing, I'm sure it's a method that would work if used again.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've done this a few times over the years but only in open hardwoods and maybe the last 100 yards to the tree. I think it's just another trick a hunter might use if a stealth approach isn't an option for whatever reason.

Having a farmer drop you off near your stand access trail at the fields edge or having a quad,truck or tractor clear a field for you so you can get out of your tree without giving up your location are just other tactics hunters can use to enter or exit their hunting location.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've done this a few times over the years but only in open hardwoods and maybe the last 100 yards to the tree. I think it's just another trick a hunter might use if a stealth approach isn't an option for whatever reason.

Having a farmer drop you off near your stand access trail at the fields edge or having a quad,truck or tractor clear a field for you so you can get out of your tree without giving up your location are just other tactics hunters can use to enter or exit their hunting location.

It doesn't count if you got spooked in the dark and ran the last 100 yards with your hands over your butt.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Ziplines would work best. It's only a matter of time before somebody creates a zipline system for tree stand hunters.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ziplines would work best. It's only a matter of time before somebody creates a zipline system for tree stand hunters.

I always wish I could be teleported to my spot. Can we invent that?

In all seriousness, those frosty mornings when the leaves are like eggshells are the mornings when I see deer right off the bat after getting in my stand. On those mornings I mutter "fugg it" and just walk and a steady clip. Trying to go slow will just prolong the noise and I do believe that going steady makes it sound more like a buck cruising thus attracting another curious buck. Would I sprint? Hell no, I don't run anywhere, but I'll make it a quick, brisk walk. I've had plenty of times where they came investigating. In fact, many times I'll hit the grunt call as soon as I sit down just to reassure the curious buck in earshot.

Not saying it works everytime, but I can think of many instances where it produced action.

Last edited: